'90 F32 TT: sport mode suspension, smell after driving

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
iamareplicant
Car: 1990 Z32 TT, 2018 VW GTI SE, 1993 Nissan Cima, 1990 Mazda 626, 1990 Fairlady Z 2+2 TT, 1983 Honda City Turbo, 1993 FD

I just purchased at 1-owner, 10K mile '90 F32TT, no PPI. What few documents I have + carfax show just 400 miles driven over the last 10 years. TB done in 2007 at 7K miles.

I don't believe the switch for sport-mode suspension is doing anything. No change (at least in my view) when driving over a known road with un-eveness when switching between the 2 suspension modes. At idle, when I switch between the 2 modes, should I feel the mechanisms or at least hear them? And in general, other than feeling firmer when moving, is there a way to tell if the sport mode is working?

I have driven the car twice, no more than 10 miles. Each time after pulling into the garage, there is a distinct smell of oil, but the car leaves no drips at all on the floor. I have not had it on a rack yet. Fingers crossed the issue isn't major. The boost and oil show that the turbos and engine are in good shape and behaving exactly as it should. The engine sounds perfect, and at idle I cannot tell the engine is running. No smoking of any kind that I have seen so far.

First up is a timing belt kit, new injectors, coils, plugs, fluids, tires, and compression check.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”