89 s13 w/ s13 sr20 redtop wont idle!!

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
240bryce
Car: 89 240sx w/sr20det redtop

Hey guys, alright so pretty much.. my car just wont idle at all. Hot or cold. :frown:
i just wanna get your guys' opinions on where i should begin looking for the problem.
Also, (1) when i start and rev the car, i can hear the turbo spool up, then when i let off the pedal, it makes this really strange sound. (its hard to explain, so i'll post a video of it. Could be normal to make that sound.. but im not sure as this is the first turbocharged car iv owned)
(2) theres a pretty bad whining sound coming from the power steering pump (i think)..
(3) im not sure where the hose from the wastegate actuator goes.. HELP!!!
Thanks guys! :biggrin:

240bryce

Come on guys!! I need some help here!
Anyone??

speedeast
Car: 1990 240sx VH45 FB & 1993 300zx

You said you were going to post a video. I mean, we can all start taking shots in the dark, but I'd like to be a little more accurate. Could be a number of things.

Check your compression. Check ignition at each plug. Make sure the IACV is clean and operational. Make sure the MAF is clean and operational. Make sure all of your fuses and relays are good and everything is hooked up. Check vacuum lines:

240bryce

speedeast wrote:You said you were going to post a video. I mean, we can all start taking shots in the dark, but I'd like to be a little more accurate. Could be a number of things.

Check your compression. Check ignition at each plug. Make sure the IACV is clean and operational. Make sure the MAF is clean and operational. Make sure all of your fuses and relays are good and everything is hooked up. Check vacuum lines:

Thanks for the reply speedeast!!
heres the video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rv1WNx3ors[/youtube]

skyline084

damn dude, you kept touching the throttle so couldn't tell.. does it just die if you don't keep hitting the throttle.
Based on you having the vacuum line clipped with pliers, I bet you've rigged other things together. So go back over and re check everything. Lines, electrical connectors.. everything.
Did you screw wit the timing or TPS or idle?

240bryce

skyline084 wrote:damn dude, you kept touching the throttle so couldn't tell.. does it just die if you don't keep hitting the throttle.
Based on you having the vacuum line clipped with pliers, I bet you've rigged other things together. So go back over and re check everything. Lines, electrical connectors.. everything.
Did you screw wit the timing or TPS or idle?
Yeah i had to keep touching the throttle so it wouldnt die on me. and i was trying to show you guys the hissing sound the throttle body makes (or something around it).
oh and i clamped that wastegate actuator line because i have NO idea where it goes.. lol & no worries, thats the only thing i ghetto rigged.
Nope i havent checked timing yet or TPS.
Do you know what that sound the turbo is making!?! its kinda making me nervous...

badbob2121
Car: 92 S13 Hatch ELLIS JUAN, 12 Mustang GT RTR

you had crazy compressor surge (i think thats the turbo noise your talking about)

and is this a new swap in the car? or was it running before and this is just a random problem?

240bryce

badbob2121 wrote:you had crazy compressor surge (i think thats the turbo noise your talking about)

and is this a new swap in the car? or was it running before and this is just a random problem?
Oh great.. That doesn't sound too good :ohno: what is a compressor surge?! Is it dangerous??
And this is a brand new swap.

speedeast

Compressor surge is when the turbo keeps building up air but there's nowhere for it to go, so it tries to go back though the turbo - even though it's still compressing air. Make sure your waste gate is operational and hooked up properly, same with your blow-off valve:

badbob2121
Car: 92 S13 Hatch ELLIS JUAN, 12 Mustang GT RTR

speedeast nailed it on compressor surge

sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem, thats a shot in the dark as im not next to the car

240bryce

Thanks speedeast!! that helped a TON! :bigthumb: and it figured out my compression surge problem. I guess i need to drill a hole in my hotpipe and put a nipple in there so i can run a vac hose from the wastegate actuator nipple to the hot pipe?? (i dont have a boost controller. Should i get one??)

Okay thanks for the advice badbob. Where should i start as far as fuel delivery goes?.. could my fuel filter be so clogged, that its restricting fuel flow??

thanks!

skyline084

Have you made a spot for your vacuum line yet? do it.. the vacuum line you have clamped is coming off the wastegate right.. recirculate that into your intake, that's where the sounds coming from. These motors have serious air pressure which is why you have vacuum lines in the first place, especially on a turbo charged motor.
Have you replaced the fuel filter since you put the new motor in? Fuel gets all gunked up after it sits.
I also tell this to everyone, clean your maf. You probably had it sitting in your trunk or something for a while, and that will completely throw off your mixture.. which will make your car run like complete s***.

240bryce

skyline084 wrote:Have you made a spot for your vacuum line yet? do it.. the vacuum line you have clamped is coming off the wastegate right.. recirculate that into your intake, that's where the sounds coming from. These motors have serious air pressure which is why you have vacuum lines in the first place, especially on a turbo charged motor.
Have you replaced the fuel filter since you put the new motor in? Fuel gets all gunked up after it sits.
I also tell this to everyone, clean your maf. You probably had it sitting in your trunk or something for a while, and that will completely throw off your mixture.. which will make your car run like complete s***.
Nope I haven't made a spot for my vac line yet. And yes it is the one coming off of the wastegate actuator. Where do I recirculate that hose to? I was lookin around and people were having to drill a hole in their hotpipe and tap a nipple in place. Should I do that??
No I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet. I'm probably gonna replace it with a 300zx fuel filter from autozone tomorrow.
Oh and If I have time, I'm gonna clean the crap outta my maf tomorrow! :biggrin:

240bryce

Oh and also my ECU is throwing out code 55.

driftapimp
Car: 89 240sx coupe

check the iacv wire for 12v
if not connect it to 12v switched
its blk/yellow
u can find it at the f9-f10 connector
its located where the battery is..
this is also where u have to connect the sr swap
it happens..

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Yes, unless you are trying to destroy this motor, you need to tap into the hotpipe, and run a line from your wastegate actuator to it.

skyline084

Okay i guess you checked,, but 55 means no malfunctions. I ran a vacuum from wastegate to my intake manifold, but putting into your hot pipe will do just fine.
When you clean your maf, use electrical parts cleaner.. and don't touch the wires, just spray em.
Pretty much check what everyone is telling ya and you should get it to run better.

240bryce

skyline084 wrote:Okay i guess you checked,, but 55 means no malfunctions. I ran a vacuum from wastegate to my intake manifold, but putting into your hot pipe will do just fine.
When you clean your maf, use electrical parts cleaner.. and don't touch the wires, just spray em.Pretty much check what everyone is telling ya and you should get it to run better.
where on the intake manifold did you put the hose??
and ohhhh greattt.. i cleaned the mafs and took a Q tip soaked in mafs cleaner to the wires (which is what i read on a forum)... and now my car barely even runs. im an idiot :mad:

skyline084

I have an aftermarket manifold, so mine's different. The manifold i bought has three nipples for vacuum. You can just put a nipple in the hot pipe if that's easy for you.. as long as it gets back into the main circulation.
Damn, did you break one of the wires? I wish i told you earlier not to touch them, b.c it's a really delicate piece. If it's not broken, try to spray the cleaner on both sides and hopefully you somehow applied dirt by using a Q tip.

240bryce

skyline084 wrote:I have an aftermarket manifold, so mine's different. The manifold i bought has three nipples for vacuum. You can just put a nipple in the hot pipe if that's easy for you.. as long as it gets back into the main circulation.
Damn, did you break one of the wires? I wish i told you earlier not to touch them, b.c it's a really delicate piece. If it's not broken, try to spray the cleaner on both sides and hopefully you somehow applied dirt by using a Q tip.
Yeah im gonna try to put the nipple in the hotpipe today if i have time.
Okay i'll try that with the mafs and let ya know!
thanks for the help :dblthumb:

240bryce

Alright, i tried spraying the mafs with the cleaner, and still no luck.
im stumped :frown:

speedeast

Did you get the nipple and correct the wastegate problem? The wastegate problem is your biggest problem and will damage your turbo if not completed. Your wastegate doesn't know when to allow exhaust to bypass unless it's hooked up correctly. Your problem right now is not with the MAF.

240bryce

speedeast wrote:Did you get the nipple and correct the wastegate problem? The wastegate problem is your biggest problem and will damage your turbo if not completed. Your wastegate doesn't know when to allow exhaust to bypass unless it's hooked up correctly. Your problem right now is not with the MAF.
Yeah i fixed that. I just tapped a nipple into the hotpipe and ran it straight to the wastegate actuator.

speedeast

Make 100% sure you don't have boost leaks, especially after the surge. This is usually a problem with new swap and people deny it, but mistakes are made.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

speedeast wrote:Make 100% sure you don't have boost leaks, especially after the surge. This is usually a problem with new swap and people deny it, but mistakes are made.
:werd:

240bryce

speedeast wrote:Make 100% sure you don't have boost leaks, especially after the surge. This is usually a problem with new swap and people deny it, but mistakes are made.
Alright thanks for the advice!
whats the best way to check for boost leaks??

PyR0NiAk

z1motorsports sells a tester. Basically, you just pressurize the system.

USMCgetsome
Car: OWN S13.5 RB25DET/2003 G35

I don't know abut you guys but I hear all kinds of rattling like a rocker arm fell off or that his timing chain is loose.

POP open your valve cover and get us a pic asap.

PyR0NiAk

I was too busy cringing from the compressor surge.

skyline084

so what's wrong, it still isn't idling right even after you tapped that vacuum line into the hot pipe?

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”