89 s13 ka24e valve cover gasket

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
BrianZ32
Car: 93' 9 2+2 300zx

Whats up folks. Just picked up an 89 240, s13. Owner was some older guy who had it sitting on his driveway for years. I decided to make an offer and he took it. He was the original owner, 5 speed with 171k miles. Odo is broken so that mileage is debatable. But anyway, everything runs smooth, engine was replaced sometime back. Its seeping oil from valve cover so i ordered a replacement gasket from local auto parts. When replacing the old one, it is all wet from current oil, however, when trying to install new one, i noticed that it is thicker than the one that was there. Once putting the valve cover back on and tightening it, theres is a pretty big gap almost as if its not tightened all the way. I can see the gasket and im almost sure it is not normal. I even took pictures but i dont know how to upload them here. Can someone give me their input. Perhaps its not the right gasket? I know not to overtighten the nuts but either way, that gap there is throwing me off.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

Permatex Number one sealant on both sides of the new valve cover gasket !

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

The factory bolts for the valve cover have shoulders on them that when torqued still don't sit the cover flush against the head. No worries there. If the bolts don't have the shoulder on them, please be careful. I ended up breaking my VC one time by over-tightening.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”