89 Pickup wont start. Please help!

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
kstone
Car: 89 pickup

k here goes i have a 89 pickup. single owner. tuneups on time and all that good stuff. went to work the other night. drove clean smooth nothin out of the ordinary. its the 2.4l z24i 5sp manual. i got to work did my time. went to go home and it wouldnt start. having no tools i had to tow it. it has a charge. the starter spins and cranks the engine but it wont fire. fuel is flowing. cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and alternator all new within the last 3 months/3k miles. O2 sensor has some deposits but its not bad (about 6mo old). i checked for power to the coils and there is power to both but no spark on crank from either plugs or coil wire (to block). the engine has about 175-180k miles. ive become despirate but i want to get some outside opinions before i call shops, usually do all the work myself or with a buddy. its never been to a shop minus body work. bleh any help would be apreciated greatly.

Kevin Spanaway, WA

kstone
Car: 89 pickup

zerothread/187106

very similar but i dont even think it rained that night it was parked. just foggy.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

I beleive there's an engine control module under one of the front seats. Check to see thats plugged in.That could be main source of your trouble. These units can die with no warning.

Check your fuses too and make sure they are intact. Check under the hood and make sure all those modules are plugged in too. It could be something very simple causing the problem. A loose ground wire could do this too.

I think NICO has an online ADOBE manual for that year of D21. Use our search bar and try that.

gibb

kstone wrote:k here goes i have a 89 pickup. single owner. tuneups on time and all that good stuff. went to work the other night. drove clean smooth nothin out of the ordinary. its the 2.4l z24i 5sp manual. i got to work did my time. went to go home and it wouldnt start. having no tools i had to tow it. it has a charge. the starter spins and cranks the engine but it wont fire. fuel is flowing. cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and alternator all new within the last 3 months/3k miles. O2 sensor has some deposits but its not bad (about 6mo old). i checked for power to the coils and there is power to both but no spark on crank from either plugs or coil wire (to block). the engine has about 175-180k miles. ive become despirate but i want to get some outside opinions before i call shops, usually do all the work myself or with a buddy. its never been to a shop minus body work. bleh any help would be apreciated greatly.

Kevin Spanaway, WA
i have a 89 nissan 4x4 king cab 2.4l 4 cyclinder and it wont start...i was driving it and then it stalled and wouldn't start back up put gas iin it then tryed starting it and when i turn the key it turns over and almost seems like its loosing power the longer i turn the key...tryed boosting it and still nothing......please someone help me its sitting in a macdonalds parking lot

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

1. Did it break a timing belt? Did you check that?

2. Check and see if you have spark at one of the plug wires. no sparks? Focus on the Engine Control Module. (Usually under the passenger seat). If you have sparks then it's probably a fuel related problem.

3. If it's fuel related then most likely - The fuel pump is dead. 4. Possible but not very likely to cause a stall - Fuel Filter could be plugged.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”