89 Nissan 240SX Power Window...help!!!

NICO's official source for Nissan upholstery, carpet, headliners, and trim information!
lightsource

it's too damn hot in california right now... So I need my window to go down.

Only problem is that I don't know what the problem is coming from.

I hope I don't lose anyone with my sketchy explanations....

I have power windows (read title) but my driver side window doesn't go down. It's either the actual switch itself or the amp. The reason I think it's the switch is because the switch can roll the passenger window down but not the driver side.

Now, I took the panel off of the door originally to see the switch itself to see if any wires are messed up. (There was only 1 messed up white wire with a black stripe on it, looked like someone cut it and just twisted it back together.) I didn't see a problem, but I disconnected the switch and reconnected it. This never happened before but now whenever I try to click the driver side switch I hear a clicking, and it's coming from the AMP. My question is... Is it the switch or is it the amp.

240_newb93
Car: '93 240

did you get your problem solved yet?looks like u made some progress messing with the wires or w/e... could be the fuse

rexify
Car: 1990 Gray 240sx sr20det 2005 Black WRX ej20

I had the same problem. I heard a click when I tried to roll down the drivers side but it wouldnt go down. PAssager went down with no problem. I switched the amp and it fixed it.

holycrapitsJR
Car: 1989 240sx

ugh, same thing happen in my car, hot in FL too. I bought a "working" amp off ebay and it still clicks. drivers side no worky. pass. side okie dokie. if I wiggle the amp it works sometimes, sounds like a short inside the amp mebbe? anyone ever try to take one apart?

N053B133D
Car: 2004 Sentra Spec V
1990 240sx Hatchback...sold :(

holycrapitsJR wrote:ugh, same thing happen in my car, hot in FL too. I bought a "working" amp off ebay and it still clicks. drivers side no worky. pass. side okie dokie. if I wiggle the amp it works sometimes, sounds like a short inside the amp mebbe? anyone ever try to take one apart?
Mine did the same thing, tore it apart (there's no way to get into it without destroying the casing) and sure enough, one of the contacts on the board was all scorched. I bought a new (used) one and popped it in, worked for a week and now it's the same story as the old one. Now i'm wondering if these things just break a lot or if the motor is shorting out and causing too much power to go through the relay.....

kuroneko
Car: '92 240sx hatch

and yet another situation.same thing

passenger works, other doesn't. has the clicking.I tried switching the motor with one that i knew worked. NOTHING

I tried using the amp off of my buddy's car (both windows work on his) and NOTHING.

So i'm not really sure what the problem is. maybe there is a short somewhere in my wiring.

N053B133D

kuroneko wrote:and yet another situation.same thing

passenger works, other doesn't. has the clicking.I tried switching the motor with one that i knew worked. NOTHING

I tried using the amp off of my buddy's car (both windows work on his) and NOTHING.

So i'm not really sure what the problem is. maybe there is a short somewhere in my wiring.
Just tore my 2nd dead relay apart and found that the same contact on this one is burnt out as on the last one. I looked at the wiring diagram to see how much resistance the power window motor is supposed to have but I couldn't find it. Anybody happen to know? Otherwise I'm gong to test the passenger side with my ohm meter and compare that to the driver side...I couldn't imagine that it would be anything else though. As far as your problem goes, you should check to see if you're getting power from the harness to the relay.

Verndogg77
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

this must be another common occurrence in these cars. my driver's side window does the exact same thing. i used to be able to pound on the door panel a couple of times and it would work but not anymore.

holycrapitsJR

I bought 3 new amps in the couple months. Then I figured out you could just solder the contacts back together. the new ones kept burning out in different places though. anyways, after I repaired one I have not had any trouble with it. Maybe they all have just one weak spot and if you fix it then you're good...and it IS possible to open the amp without destroying the case, you just gotta know where the clips are(2 on top and one on the bottom) I have pictures if anyone wants

Verndogg77
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

yes! please post pics!

holycrapitsJR

actually, I found this... zerothread/244885 easier than posting my own pictures

Ladreik
Car: 92 240sx se Coupe

I need help with my power window assy, Passenger side went down but not up I could not find much info on diagrams and such but i am getting voltage to the switch. I did find one forum post of the power window Amp (or encoder) So i decided to search for it to test it... problem is I cant find it. From what I read it is connected with 2 screws but where is it located.

N053B133D

Ladreik wrote:I need help with my power window assy, Passenger side went down but not up I could not find much info on diagrams and such but i am getting voltage to the switch. I did find one forum post of the power window Amp (or encoder) So i decided to search for it to test it... problem is I cant find it. From what I read it is connected with 2 screws but where is it located.
It's behind the door panel, just follow the bundle of wires that comes from the switch and it will lead you to a white rectangular box.

Return to “Interiors”