89 maxima ???? timming belt (chain)

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
s13ofdoom
Car: car, music, sports

hey my bro's 1989 maxima came home today dying..... im not sure if its the timming belt (chain) it stutters jumps from 1300-800rpms (over and over) at idle.. well my guesses are fuel rail, timming belt, distributor or a random cold day haha well if you could give me ur imput that would be great thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if its timming belt (chain) anyone have some diagrams of the vg30de motor (sorry if i got that all wrong) well thanks in advance

NISTECH

89 max is a vg30e engine and has a timing belt. from your description it sounds like a vaccum leak. is it a rapid idle fluctuation[ how long is the interval from highest rpm back to highest rpm?] If its quick I would start looking for a vaccum leak and a good size one at that. i.e. brake booster hose,pcv, intake tube between the airflow meter and throttle body.

s13ofdoom

yeah its a quick fluctuation then it dies down still fluctuates after about 5 seconds but very lightly. well thanks i'll look for a leak :) thanks thanks!

s13ofdoom

haha i pushed all the vacum lines into place, re adjusted the clamps and its fine ahhaha. thanks haha weird thing is it still fluctuated when i started it up 5 mins earlier.. haha now that it works i dont even what to know if its magic or if i covered the whole with clamp but i works :) haha gonna sell it now haha. thanks!!!

nothingstoofast

yea if it was the timing belt what happened to me would have happened to you. the damn thing broke wiped out all the valves and got holes in piston 1and 3. change it anyways, cost $$ but worth it over 60K miles on that belt

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”