89 maxima speed sensor

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
s13ofdoom
Car: car, music, sports

hey my bro has an 1989 maxima and he failed smog cuz his speed sensor is broken and check engine light is on. is there any digital fsm?? i wanna help him fix it what should i do? thanks ahead of time!!

NISTECH

the speed sensor is the speedometer head it self. first start by removing the cable from the trans and manually spin it while someone watches the speedo if it doesnt register any speed you have to remove the speedo and look at the back of it. If the plastic around the post the speedo cable goes in is cracked you are in need of a speedo head. in some rare cases I have been able to get one of those working by cleaning the outer surface of the plastic with isopropal alchol and wrapped it very tight with electrical tape.

If the speedo does register but you still have the check engine liht for that code the electrical portion of it is at fault. sometimes cold soldier joints are the cause and can be repaired by resoldiering it. you just have to look closely for cracking in the solider mounds could be any of them.

s13ofdoom

um where is the the cable on the trans?? sorry i dont know my trannys very well (first problem i've had with one). what am i lookin for is it onthe top bottom right left..and is attached to a black platic thing.sorry for my lack of knowledge.

NISTECH

no prob. the cable is located toward the firewall right next to the fuel filter it comes through the firewall and goes straight down to the sensor. follow it to where it connects to the trans. you can spin the retaining nut by hand once you loosen it with channel locks. then it just slides right out. you will see a small squre rod in the center of the cable that is what you spin.

NOTE: the cable may hang in the trans when you pull up on the housing to pull it out. just grab it and pull it out of the trans pick-up and push it into the housing of the cable.

s13ofdoom

thanks i'll try it tomorow. thanks thanks

s13ofdoom

dude i dont know im not seeing this. i took some pics i was wonder if i could send them to u and maybe u could hilight it or something. email me at [email protected] or post it here if u would be so kind. and thanks!!!!!

NISTECH

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/photopost/

go here upload it and I will fix it up for you and repost it.

s13ofdoom

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....10226

NISTECH

ok it is not in that picture it is more toward the upper left of the picture kinda below the oil filter toward the fire wall snap a shot of that area if you dont find it on your own. a cable is attached to it.

s13ofdoom

my bro took the car out for the night but okay, so its near the oil filter?

NISTECH

it is attached to the trans going straight down into the trans. it is below the filter and back toward the fire wall. it is almost to the edge of the trans to the passenger side right above where the axel goes into the trans.

s13ofdoom

ight i wasn't thinking it was there (hard to get to) but thanks so much!! i'll check it out tomorow : )

s13ofdoom

and thanks again

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”