89 240SX to KA24DE swap, no spark. Searched and not obvious.

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
TX-S13
Car: 1989 Franken S13

Ok well I do not think it is obvious. LOL

Here is the scenario, got a KA24DE for $400 with tranny and it needed a headgasket. So I changed that and then some. I got everything finished and I get no spark. I have checked the coil, it gets 12v. Checked the distributor, it gets voltage to the CAS. I have set timing per the FSM (which I assume is right, right?). I am trying to get this girl running for I need to get to work with it. I did the swap of the ECU interior plug (5 wires). The only things I have not changed is the Cluster and the Knock sensor (its broke).

When I turn the key to the on position it only has the left side dash lights on, Oil, Seatbelt Battery etc... I think those are them, I am not in front of it but you know what I mean. Before it would come on with the CEL and such before you try to start for 5 seconds. The ECU is getting a Code 11, 21 and 34 (knock sensor is obvious).

I have taken my DMM and tested the coil when the key is on it gets battery voltage, even through the coil wire. The CAS gets voltage like 7.5 or something. I have checked ground continuity and get it through-out. But I still do not get spark. I checked this by grounding out a spark plug plugged into the distributor and nothing. I get nothing.

My timing is set to the FSM like this where the cam gear dots are pointing opposite of each other. the Intake side at 10 o'clock and the exhaust at 2 o'clock. with the Crank Pulley at TDC. anyways the only other thing I noticed is the brake light on the dash stays on even when I have the brake down.

Thanks for any help.

TX-S13

Anyone, I really need to get my car up and going for I am gonna lose my job soon.

DubsSuck
Car: s13 hatch

Im having the same problem, only my coil is not getting any power.is your fule pump priming?

TX-S13

Yeah fuel pump is priming. injectors are spraying, got that side covered, just no sparky. If your coil is not getting any juice, try swapping it out. they should just get 12v and be good... Usually, as I have found out it can be pretty hit or miss. I am probably just going to send mine to the shop. Lack of response, time and patience is killing me. My kids are begging for my attention and I need to get this thing going.

DubsSuck

check the controll moduel its right by the coil

theres nothing wrong with my coil we checked it its just not getting any power and we think its the same reson the pumps not priming

TX-S13

Yeah that is strange, sounds about like my issue. Yeah I have checked the control module and it checks out, I even tried three of them since I had extras. I tell you man. UGHHH

DubsSuck

Im thinkin im getting any power to the ECU

TX-S13

Yeah kind of sounds like it... Does the ECU LED come on?

PERRO_s13
Car: 1989 s13 240sx KA24DET

Anybody figure this out? I’ve been searching and replacing parts and I can’t get it to go

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”