89 240sx: Seat belts and windsheild wipers INOP??

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
meet07
Car: 89 180sx rb25det

I removed my dash to install a un-cracked dash and Installed an external fuse block with 3 extra gauges. Now my windsheild wipers and seat belts doesnt work. Not sure if both of these are tied into the same relay,fuse or ground but there not working. All I know so far is that the wiper swicth on the steering column doesnt have power.

Please help. Thanks

meet07
Car: 89 180sx rb25det

I did a combination of things that ended up fixing my tachometer(which I didnt state before),the seat belts,heating controls and my wipers.

Lets start with my current setup. I have about 4 toggle switches(for things like my boost controller,launch control, etc...) and 7 gauges so there is alot of extra wires roaming around under my dash. When I 1st did my wiring I used fuse taps and tapped them into the kick panel on the driver side. I recently removed them b/c I didnt want to burn up my factory wiring harness( That would suck right?). In the process I remembered that when I removed the fuse taps that there was a little gap left over. Meaning that when I push in a ATO fuse, I would notice a little bit of looseness. Knowing this lead me to think that maybe something that is suppose to get power isnt getting power...so......

1) I pulled out the kickpanel and checked the power going into the panel on the back side of the kick panel(I knew this was good b/c everything on the front had power minus the starter signal fuse). The power going into the panel is in the center of both rows that the fuses sit at. Meaning, If you look at the left row of fuses. Power going in is on the right and opposite on the right rows.

2) I then checked the wires on the back of the kick panel that gets power after you plug in the fuse. I noticed that I had quite a few wires that wasnt getting power. This means that the fuse in plugged in to the fuse panel, Im getting power across the fuses but the fuses arnt touching the female plug that goes into the back part of the fuse panel....if that makes sense....

I wanna say that:
-one of the 15amp blower fuses
-audio
-turn signal
-meter
-the one underneath meter?
-And im thinking one of the defrost fuses

After messing with the power stuff I removed the center console to take a peak at the seat belt box:

I tapped on it a few times( for no reason) and made sure that the plugs where pushed all the way in. When I did this I remember hearing something on the passenger side.

Closed the passenger side door and what do we know......the seat belts work. Closed the driver door and the seat belt works. I guess this problem was caused by myself but the problems!! are now fixed. A put about 5 gallons in her b/c she was bone dry and wouldnt start. Fired her up to realize that the tach works again and went thorugh the heater controls and every thing is good. Hope this helps others.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”