87 Nissan PU Z24 issues

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
bham240sx1
Car: Woodworking, Car tinkering

I have a 1987 Nissan PU with the Z24 motor in it. It only has 67K on it . When you crank up, it runns great untill it warms up. Then I get a hesitation and or a miss when I accelerate. It has new pluggs, wires, fuel filter, dist cap, and button.It still misses on acceleration after warming up. I dont have a shop manual for it, but was hoping to find a little help on where to start. It has throttly body, not fuel injection, and being an 87, it doesnt have a lot of electronics.Any help would be great ?

x-man

How's the idle after warm-up?Does it stall?Any black/white smoke out the back?Does the hesitation occur at about the same RPMs in every gear?

Just probing...

NISTECH

swap your coil wires and see if you still have the same problem. The old z24 had a problem with one of the coils droping out. also recheck all 8 wires make sure that the exhaust wires are going to the exhuast spark plugs and the intake wires are going to the intake spark plugs. and on the right numbers. How ddi you keep that truck from getting any miles on it?

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

intake and exhaust spark plugs? What's this all about?

NISTECH

the nap z engine has 8 spark plugs and 2 coils one set is for intake and one set is for exhuast. the predisesor[sp?] to the altima was the stanza it too had a similar 8 plug engine before 89 but it was a 2.0L engine. IMO those engines were terrible for ignition problems.

x-man

NISTECH wrote:...IMO those engines were terrible for ignition problems.

You're too kind...

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

SCOTT, what else can you tell us about this engine?

I'm picking up one of these lil go getter trucks for beater duty, and I'm going to need the NISTECH to bail me out!!

NISTECH

other then the said ignition problems they tended to have headlight problems due to switch malfunction. other then that I dont know personnaly of any other problems with them. I have not had a great deal of hands on with the older 720 trucks,more with the D21(hardbody) version of the same engine. but I am aware they are pretty reliable once you iron out the ignition problems. I do have to say though carburation vehicles in general are no fun to do drivability work on. Its getting harder and harder to find rebuild kits for the carb and in most cases at the age of the carb it is likely not rebuildable and would need replacement. All that and not to mention the fuel economy of carburated engines sucks. Phil If I were you I thing I would try to locate a D21 with injection as your beater. One could be had for probably the same price, unless of course your getting it for free.

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

Thanks Scott!! All I'm paying is registration/title transfer.

The thing is an old mutt. Ugly as sin, but I like it and it'll be fun to scoot around in something that not long ago, I wouldn't have allowed myself to be caught dead in.

NISTECH

phil I have also givin into the "who cares I like driving it" moto...I really do drive a metro...lol

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”