87 maxima tranny into an early 85?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
bobotech

I am going to be helping my son getting our old nissan maxima up and running again. Its an 1985 model that blew its tranny about 6 years ago. It has sat, blah blah blah. We now have it running but now its the time to put the tranny in.

I foundat our local pull 'n save junkyard a tranny out of a 1987 model. everything looks intact on the tranny and the good thing is that the car was rolled onto its side causing them to junk it. (the car has llight roof damage on the passenger side). That tells me that the car was probably running fine and driving fine when the car was wrecked.

The thing that makes me nervous is that everytime i call a junkyard, they always ask me the bulid date of the car. (it is the early build date, can't remember what it was).

Does that really make a difference in regards to the tranny? we are going to be taking the whole tranny and everytyhing including the flywheel. This is an automatic tranny.

Should this work fine?

Thanks...

NISTECH

85 and 87 should be the same. that model was produced from 84 to 88. The differences through those years were minor. mostly cosmetic

bobotech

whew.. thats good to hear becasuee we went ahead and grabbed the tranny today.

Someone did the hard part for us too.. they needed the flywheel out of it so the engine/tranny was already split so it was just a matter of just unbolting the mounts and taking the cables and stuff off of it.

now the hard part,putting it back in to our 85. :-)

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”