87 hradbody vg30e swap

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
jmhg11
Car: 1986 Nissan Hardbody

So i apologize if this has been asked i tried to find it on here but couldn't find much except about the et/tt. so I recently got a 87 hardbody with the z24i engine, I'm in love with the thing already but the engine idles stupid high and is just in generally pretty bad condition the more i check out this engine the longer the list and price tag of fixing it is getting to the point a swap is starting to seem like it might become the more practical option since I had plans for a swap down the line anyway. I'm not looking for crazy power just something a little better with a little more access to parts and potential to maybe handle a turbo in the future, and since some models of the hardbody come with the vg30e already I'm wondering how difficult a swap would be? what parts would i need to get fabricated if any also from my research on this I keep getting conflicting info on what transmission id need to use so info on that would be helpful. I'm so determined to get this thing running any way I can, an engine swap seems a bit intimidating but its not my daily and i do have friends and family with a whole lot more experience i just don't want to rush into anything and am trying to gather as much info as i can before i make a decision so literally any kind of input or links you can give me would be much appreciated, thanks.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

The VG didn't have much more power or torque than the Z24, so it may be a moot point.

Why not go through and do all the maintenance and get the Z24 running perfectly? Sounds like vacuum leaks are the idle issue, and that engin isn't hard to rebuild (if needed).

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”