87 GLL Radio/Amp Question

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
apexbuddha

Hey guys,

Now, I've done a bunch of research so far on this and currently have a couple web pages open as well as two separate wiring diagrams in front of me.

My Z31 is an 87 2+2 GLL (NA, if that matters...analog dash). Currently with the stock radio and the factory amp under the passenger seat. I am going to replace the radio hopefully before year's end.

I understand that a modern radio is not going to want to play nicely with the under-seat amp. First, is that correct?

I'm looking at the diagram in the Factory Service Manual for 1987 (EL-116, for reference) and cannot see any connection between the output from the radio to the input of the amp. There is one, correct? Am I just missing it?

If it's true that the factory amp will not behave with a modern radio, could I theoretically clip the wires that run from the amp to the speakers and extend them up to the new harness coming off the back of the new radio?

Thanks in advance!

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

So my suggestion is that you get rid of that old Nissan AMP, the Nissan speakers (they were crap) and the head unit. I did the big surgery on my 84' GLL in 1997 originally. I added an Alpine 4 way amp that fit nicely under the seat after we got rid of the stock one. We did have to do some re-wiring but not a ton. Then I did a set of Kenwood speakers after listening to many different ones, the 6.5 fit nicely in the door and on the shock pillars. I went the extra mile and put a big tube in the back with another smaller Alpine AMP pushing that.

This is the way to go, the stock parts are toast, eventually I put an Alpine radio in that did iPod, I will replace that for a streaming radio when it dies. The most important and expensive parts are the speakers and amp, spend the most on that. Unfortunately you cannot put a double DIN unit in, the Alpine single DIN are very nice.

Dunkine
Car: Running: 87 & 89 300ZX
Fixing: 85 300ZX
Parts: 86 & 88 300ZX
Possible future project 84 300ZX 2 seat hardtop

When I updated the radio in my 89Z, I got a harness from crutchfield. It plugs into the amp output harness. Then you run the new harness to the back of your new radio. They also have a harness for the power etc. Here's a pic of the new harness installed under the passenger seat with the factory amp removed.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”