87 D21 VG30i AIV system or No?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Roddyrue
Car: 1987 Nissan Truck SE V6
4WD Extended Cab SB

First post! After reading a multitude of questions and great advice and help, I thought I should reach out and see if y’all can help. Mom in law passed away, literally leaving my hubby her D21 and saying docs couldn’t keep her going but my hubby could keep her ‘baby’ going. Imagine an 85 YO, with a cigarette hanging out of the side of her mouth, cruising around town in her manual, big tires D21. She LOVED her truck ! So, my hubby is on a mission to get the hardbody up and running again. Please bear with me- I’m not a mechanic, but can at least provide feedback and input to help get a better understanding.

Apparently, moms neighbor thought he could help her get truck running better and “done a few things.” Initially, Truck running really rich, backfiring, idle all over the place, black smoke, and just a hot mess. We ran codes and had the MAF come up so we changed it out, twice. New plugs were coated within mins of trying to isolate issues. We have changed out throttle body, position sensor, plugs and wires, exhaust, muffler, retimed and new o2 sensor. Distributor looks new probably Neighbor guy, he also decided to remove Cat, literally had rigged something up with a coat hanger. Ugh. So as I sit in the seat to start her up, it is average low 30’s here, she starts, goes ultra high idle, drops low, then back up. Does this a couple times. Will do the gradual lowering from 1800 down to 1100 - very slowly. If I drive to warm her up, she is just under 1000. No more black smoke, but you can smell how rich she is running, but she is running . This brings me to the subject at hand. As stated earlier, Neighbor had removed CAT, he also ripped out the secondary air hose that goes from the AIV Case to the exhaust manifold. Plugged the hole in the manifold with a huge bolt and left vac open on the AIV. Also, the vac which goes from AIV Case to the AIV Box had a huge blowout (I will try to put diagram here). The AIV box is in great condition from the outside- we haven’t opened it up yet. But in researching I have seen where folks seem to just remove them. I don’t know if the reason she is still running rich or the idle is wonky is because that secondary air is not going to the exhaust mani. We are in Kentucky and not required to have emissions. Is it better to remove and plug this system? Better question, how do we do that? Any and all help is appreciated!
B21A3284-D66F-455B-881A-8D6CBC2E1C08.jpeg

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”