87 300zx non turbo 5spd No crank/no start

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
ronbinokc
Car: 2003 Maxima SE

I need help! I bought this car recently as a project. It sat for 15 years in a warehouse. I cannot find the clutch inhibitor switch I have replaced the rubber stoppers on the pedals. The battery is new. When you turn the key no sound but all the lights and accessories turn off. I've tried to test as per the manual the theft warning system but get nothing when it should be showing 12v on the initial test so I stop. Can someone give me some guidance? I have searched the web, read the svc and Haynes manual. Thank you in advance! :wtf2:

schoolingthree
Car: 1987 300zx base ttop

the clutch inhibitor switch is a mechanical switch located under dash and is operated by the clutch pedal assembly. you may need to move some heater ducting to be able to get to it. there is also a flat metal tab on the upper clutch pedal assembly with about a quarter size nylon bumper that pushes the switch closed. I have had cars not crank because the nylon bumper fell apart and would no longer push the switch enough to close it. my fix is to put a rubber vacuum cap on the plunger of the switch. usually you find whats left of the nylon bumper laying in the footwell.

ronbinokc

Thank you I meant to update. I found the switch but have not been able to test since I fixed the rubber portion because I have to complete the oil change before I try to crank it. WHO DESIGNED THIS ENGINE? That oil filter has turned into my nightmare! I saw somewhere it was recommended that the starter be removed to complete the change and that would be fine if the starter hadn't been on there for 20 years without being removed! This is a nightmare...never seen anything like it. Any tips??

schoolingthree
Car: 1987 300zx base ttop

get a end cap style oil filter wrench .

ronbinokc

In the future I will have the oil changed...lol. It's just not been running and I couldn't crank with old oil...

ronbinokc

Just an update, in case you wanted to know, starter was good, oil was changed and gas was put in the tank for the first time in 15 years....it didn't take but 2 times to prime the fuel lines by turning the key on, then third time I turned it to start and she fired RIGHT UP! 15 YEARS!! GREAT ENGINES!!

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”