'86 Z31 turbo needs A/C (newbie)

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
jimb1125
Car: '86 Z31 turbo

I'm new here, but I'll try to keep this short.
I'm pretty close to buying a '86 Z31 turbo slicktop. Seller indicates that previous owner deleted the A/C, but he has all the parts for it. I live in Texas, so A/C would be a requirement especially since this lady doesn't have the T-Tops. Anyone here have any tips on the feasibility of resinstalling and retrofitting legacy A/C on this car?
Thanks!
Jim

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

It most certainly depends on how far that idea got taken. Some literally remove it ALL, thinking drag or roadrace car, you definitely need to be looking deeper into that. Some remove the HVAC airbox under dash, condenser and everything that go to them and saying they 'still have the parts' is a trap. The work simply putting them back in place would be astronomical, and then the great likelihood they don't work any way and why so many will go there. Next most common reason is pimplefaced kid who thinks he's Mario Andretti.

Not having the tops says you better be getting it CHEAPER than cheap too, another warning.

jimb1125
Car: '86 Z31 turbo

Thanks for the advice. The seller seems very knowledgeable about the car, but my impression is that his focus was speed and performance. He upgraded the clutch to stage 2 and did suspension and brake work, but was less interested in restoration of minor cosmetic issues, broken switches, etc. Looking under the hood it's clear that the compressor is gone, along with mounting hardware, belt, etc. but I have no idea about the rest of the system components.
Speedo doesn't work either, but I gather that's a common issue.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Unless it's a foreign market car it didn't come with a turbo. Slicktops sold in the US were all n/a. Take a look at the VIN#, the 4th character on a turbo car is "C, as in in JN1CZ31. This vin character is true for all 81-96 Z cars. JN1HZ came n/a. That might be why it doesn't have a/c, TO do the conversion to factory spec you swap out the front crossmember. However there was a couple of boutique manufacturers that made relocation pipe to put the turbo where the a/c compressor lives. Also adding the turbo he might have added an intercooler which might have necessitated removal of the condenser and or the receiver drier and associated hard lines. So putting a/c back on might mean removing all the turbo bits depending on how he did it. It would be unusual to remove the evaporator inside the dash but I've done it. It's a lot of work to get that thing in or out and not something typically removed when people do this sort of thing.

Speedo and other gauge issues might have to do with the donor if the engine was swapped, The car might have been an auto and IIRC the 86 has a short cable leading to a convertor which was a one year only thing, again going by memory but analog vs digital vs year there were a few variations and someone might have gotten lazy on a swap. Might just need ot track down the correct bits to out it back or finish the conversion.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”