86 D21 4x4 Parking Brake Issue

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
importman77
Car: '86 Nissan D21 4X4 Vg30i

Hey guys, New member here, first post. I just bought an 86 D21 V6 4x4 and I'm working on fixing all the little issues I've found with it. I was actually a Nissan Tech from 87-93 which is why I wanted an old D21. My issue is, the parking brake won't fully apply. It's the type where the brake cable attaches to a lever on the top back of the brake assy and uses cables and a toggle inside the drum to activate. It has all new cables which are working fine. They're pulling the lever as far as possible. Inside the drum everything looks good. Almost new shoes, adjusted correctly and everything is installed correctly. But although the cable is pulling a full stroke the shoes barely move and just make slight contact with the drums. Has anyone ever ran into this? I wonder if the little short cables inside the drum are stretched or the channel in the toggle is worn where those cables are sinking too deep and creating slack. But although I'm a lifelong auto tech, (auto tech teacher now), for the life of me I can't figure out what's causing this. Anyone? Thanks in advance,

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Try raising the rear differential up off the ground, apply the hand brake check both wheels are locking. Could have one arm not moving freely Are the brake adjuster spools completely free? Check where the brake cable enters the backing plate, should be no movement. Could try a new hardware kit. Check the backing plate where the shoes rest on the plate.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”