85 nissan 720 pickup, better gas milage tricks??/swaps??

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
heywier427
Car: 91 Q45

im going to put bigger tires on it so that will help a bit. is there a common rear end with better gears that i can swap in? should i mess with the timing. i dont care about hp or performance, just gas milage. andy help is appreciated. thanks

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

bigger tires weigh more and increase the final drive ratio, skinnier tires offer less resistance and can be beneficial, a low resistance intake filter and free flowing exhaust should increase milage and increase performance, of course the go pedal negates any gain

heywier427

i understand that the wider the tire the more resistance to the road, but being 3-5" taller should help out. all my driving is highway, about 60 miles. my job is less than a mile from home and from work off the highway.

ive actully been driving 65 and the gas milage is great. 60 miles and the neddles only moves a little bit, but...im that d@ck in the first lane screwin the flow up. everybody is doing 90 at 5:30 in the mornin and if i do that i burn a 1/4 tank there and back! thats worse than my escalade! mpg wise.

im def. gonna try the tires cause my buddy hase a set of aluminum rims from a tundra with tall a$$ tires, it cant hurt to try. but is there something i can do gearing wise with the rear end. i wonder if i can put my spare Q rear end in there hmmm...but is there a known easy swap?

as far as free'er flowing intake, should i just buy one of the filters that look like a reg, ring filter but with the filter part on top too. like the k&n but not...and just leave the top of the air filter cover off. i dont think hot air will be a prob cause its cold *** balls!

what can i do cheaply to free up the exhaust other than cut it off. when i got it the muffler fell off will i was driving home. no power and way too load, and prob worse mpg.

all suggestions are taken into consideration, but keep in mind this a 500 truck and will be used till the body falls off, so nothing crazy. the cheaper the solution the better.

thanks

Modified by heywier427 at 5:09 AM 1/9/2007
Modified by heywier427 at 5:10 AM 1/9/2007

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

have you given it just a basic tuneup?

that's a fuel injected z24 isn't it?

heywier427

yep everything mechanical tune up wise is done. dont get me wrong, it gets great gas milage... i just want more!!!

i want a low 5th gear or a better final drive. i want to be able to do 80 at 2-2500 rpms. im not willing to pull the tranny, but i will swap rear end rings or the rear all together.

does any body know the final drive ratio. ill just look for somthing higher, and by higher i mean lower and slap a diffent rear in there. i mocked my Q rear up, but id have to weld supports for it to sit on the leaf springs. rather not but its a possibility.

thanks

Return to “Datsun 720”