85 Nissan 720 2.4 L4 cracked block?

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
GregLess
Car: 1985 Nissan 720

Hi I have an 85 Nissan 720 2.4 that I would love to get running but I’m running and need advice.
The truck used to have CA emissions on it but by the time I got it, those components were missing.
The truck ran cold when I first got it, the carb froze up- had it rebuilt (probably should have switched out with a Weber instead). Then it started running warm ( I always shut it down before it really overheated) got a new water pump and the truck was running but would sputter before changing the head gasket.

After replacing the head gasket antifreeze is still getting in the oil. Can’t see any cracks in the block, head was machined and still no difference. I’m replacing the PCV, but I don’t know if that will stop the antifreeze/oil mixing problem.

Having trouble finding a rebuilt engine and am considering Remanufactured engines but have read some bad reviews on those. (Any insight on using a remanufactured 720 engine would be appreciated)
Is it common for 720 engine blocks to crack?

Wondering if there is anything else I can try before giving up on this engine.

Thanks in advance

Return to “Datsun 720”