'85 720 fuel pump

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Radio Ron
Car: 1985 720 Pickup

Has anybody else had trouble with their fuel pump?I have a '85 720 that had been dyeing on me and then startingright back up. Mechanic had tried lots of stuff and nothing helped.He'd think he had found the problem, I'd get it back and the next day it would die again. The fuel pump finally quit and we thought that maybe that was theproblem all along, it was just getting flaky...He put on and after market pump and it just went back to dyeing on me, he tried a second one and it did the same thing. Just got it back from him, this time he bought a Nissan pump from thedealership, it costs $209.76...I sure hope it takes care of the problem. I wish I had a fuel pressure gauge to monitor it.Has anyone else had this problem?

Ron

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

only when on 1/4 or less parked on certain inclines. I noticed it likes to be at full to little less than half. Then it started running on three cylinders. I need to check the cat. converter( these clogged ruin your motor so fast)

check the wiring back to front to make sure it isn't chewed up somewhere. Check fuses and clean off grounds. What does your fuel filter look like? Thats like $7 part.

Make sure the gas lines aren't cracked to s*** and dryrotting. then clean out the fuel lines. These are the little vehicular joys we all get.

breadbox

Also carb'd or not carbed?

Radio Ron

Well maybe the new fuel pump was the fix, I drove it more than100 miles yesterday and it didn't burp once.All the above suggestions have already been trie, the fule filterwas the first thing they replaced.

I hope it's fixed, it's been really frustrating now being able to trustit.My dad bought it new just before he retired. He was so proud of his little truck.One of the last things he said to me before he died was"take my truck home and take care of it for me..."So I fell like I'm keeping a promise to him.

All the best,

Ron in Radio Heavenhttp://radioheaven.homestead.com/menu.html

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

i have had many issues with mine... chewed through 3 in one year.... just replace it!

i got a better one and i now fill up at a half tank all the time and haven't had any issues in over a year

Radio Ron

Just got back from another drive, almost 200 miles and not a burp.

Snapped a photo of it on the street in front of the house while I was out.It's dirty, but it runs.

Well, I was going to insert a photo, but it doesn't seem to work the way I thought it would, any suggestions?

73 Ron w4ron

Radio Ron

I put the photo in my Avitar.

73, Ron w4ron

breadbox

if you goto the picture thread it has a login//password for photobucket

copy the IMG code here.

2kredz3
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

yeah that sounds about right, i had the same problem. . .just an fyi inserting a fuel regulator on the fuel return line will keep the pump from running wide open all the time (keeping the pump held with pressure will lengthen the life of the pump dramatically)

Return to “Datsun 720”