85' 200SX Problems with the CA-18ET

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Spyder

1st off let me say that the car doesnt have any keys for it so I have to hotwire it but everything turns on so I dont think that is the problem. It just wont crank over, it will if I spray something flammable into the throttle body though. It has gas in the tank, and i've taken the hose off right after the fuel filter and it spews gas, so the pump and all that behind that point is fine. I'm guessing its some relay or fuse for the fuel injectors that isnt working, any ideas? :help By the way its the 1.8L Turbo engine.

regisfr
Car: rebuild cars

when you say it won't crank, it won't turn or you hear it turn?. if it wont turn it could be your wiring to your starter, maybe a relay. To by pass this just to see if the engine turns, find the starter of your car, I don't know exactly where it is located on your car but its right around your flywheel. Not to be a smart a**but if you don't know where your flywheel is, its where your tranny and moto meets. Once you find the starter, there should be 2 or 3 cables, if two cable that means the starter itself is using it as ground. To double sure it is grounded properly, take a ohm meter accross you negative of battery and the other end on the metal part of you starter. the other 2 wires shoudl be your positive. One is normally directly to your battery's positive via fuse link. Take your voltmeter and see if you get voltage, if not that means it is you fusable link. This wire is to power and turn the starter it self. lastly the last wire. This wire should be floating until you start the car which it goes throu a relay and kicks the solenoid of the starter and activates the motor of your starter. To test if it actually turns the flywheel, take a 10 gauge wire and connect it to the third wire, it it turns that means it could be somewhere inyour ignition panel , hwere you are hot wiring it. When you hot wire it, all the warning lights should be on.

Spyder

Sorry for not clarifying, and thank you for that bit of info, it might come in handy later, but it does crank, it just doesnt turn over. I can get it to run fine if I spray something flammable into the throttle body with the turbo not pushing air into it. But I can't get it to turn over under its own fuel injection. The tank is about half full, and I pulled the hose right after the fuel filter and it spews gas, so everything behind that point is fine. But it still wont turn over.

Spyder

C'mon guys

drjohn

Check for injector pulse at the injectors. This can be done by listening to the injector to see if it's clicking by using a screw driver on the injector body. If not clicking then check to see if your getting power and grd. to the injectors by using a voltmeter. Hook the voltmeter to eng. grd. and probe one side of injector lead this should have batt. voltage. Disconnect the injector lead and hook the voltmeter to power and the grd. to the b/w grd. wire and crank this should give you a on-off voltage reading when cranking. This tells you that you have got power and grd. to injectors and the injectors are inop. Also the injectors get a signal from the crank angel sensor,dist., and if the ignition is not firing you will get no injector pulse,I.E., no fuel. Also you need to check fuel pressure, the fuel will still spray but may not have enough pressure 30-40 psi is good pressure.

Spyder

I know I have ignition, cause i can get it to run by spraying stuff into the throttle body. I'm gonna check the fuel injection relay and fuses, and disconnect the fuel line further up the line. If I just take an injector out of its port should it still spray?

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”