'84 Nissan 720: Stalling

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
mueler
Car: 1984 Nissan Datsun King Cab 720 4x4

1984 Nissan Datsun 720 King cab 4x4

I posted on here several weeks ago and got helpful suggestions. I'm reposting, because the issue (still unresolved) has changed slightly.
-There seems to be two types of stalling.

Type 1: In the last two weeks I've stalled 5 times. These 5 times have all been in parking lots and after the truck has previously run at least 15 min. I start to take my foot off the clutch (stopsign, reversing, etc) and the truck stalls. When I turn the key, it goes tttttt and either no Vroom, or the vroom chokes out after 2 sec. Continued tries = definitely no Vroom. After 20 minutes to an hour it will start as normal. WHAT's GOING ON! ?

Type 2: (happened intermittently for the last year but hasn't happened in the last 2 weeks) While driving, the gas pedal stops engaging, Then the engine then cuts out. Truck coasts to stop and will restart within a couple minutes. Might (or might not) keep stalling. Sometimes you can put it in 2nd gear and buy enough time for the gas pedal to reengage.

Recent work done: new fuel filter, new alternator, plugs and wires, rotor and rotorcap, battery (1 yr), battery terminals

I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

foxfan1992
Car: 1984 Nissan Datsun 720 King Cab

I had a similar problem on my '84 720 a few years ago. I had noticed the idle speed was incredibly fast and fiddling around with the idle screw had no effect. Eventually it got to the point that the truck would stall after ten-fifteen minutes of running. (Running cold it was fine, but when it warmed up it would stall, I had to keep the gas pedal slightly pressed down in order to avoid stalling.)

Anyway to cut to the chase, it sounds like a vaccuum leak. Check all of the hoses, especially around the air filter and carburetor. This was specifically my problem hose, just forgot to put it back on after tweaking with stuff.

pano
Car: 84 720 KC 2.4l (Cali. make)

Hi, this is is my first post on the site and I'm still a novice, but here's my 2 cents:

Fuel Filter RELAY

It's located under the dash on the passenger side. I recently had to replace mine. This probably isn't the cause of your issue but it's an important one to know about. If you hear a clicking noise and the battery indicator light comes on as the engine cuts out, then this is probably the culprit. Either way, I would encourage any 720 owner to check out this:
https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/The- ... t-Tell-You

Also, the auto choke relay...

Ricebiker
Car: 1977 Datsun 620 pickup, Reg. Cab

mueler wrote:1984 Nissan Datsun 720 King cab 4x4

I posted on here several weeks ago and got helpful suggestions. I'm reposting, because the issue (still unresolved) has changed slightly.
-There seems to be two types of stalling.

Type 1: In the last two weeks I've stalled 5 times. These 5 times have all been in parking lots and after the truck has previously run at least 15 min. I start to take my foot off the clutch (stopsign, reversing, etc) and the truck stalls. When I turn the key, it goes tttttt and either no Vroom, or the vroom chokes out after 2 sec. Continued tries = definitely no Vroom. After 20 minutes to an hour it will start as normal. WHAT's GOING ON! ?

Type 2: (happened intermittently for the last year but hasn't happened in the last 2 weeks) While driving, the gas pedal stops engaging, Then the engine then cuts out. Truck coasts to stop and will restart within a couple minutes. Might (or might not) keep stalling. Sometimes you can put it in 2nd gear and buy enough time for the gas pedal to reengage.

Recent work done: new fuel filter, new alternator, plugs and wires, rotor and rotorcap, battery (1 yr), battery terminals

I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mine is having fuel pump problems. I think. Barely starts and then I need to keep my foot on the gas to the floor, to only have it barely idle at best. I ordered a fuel pump for it. We'll see.

Ricebiker
Car: 1977 Datsun 620 pickup, Reg. Cab

foxfan1992 wrote:I had a similar problem on my '84 720 a few years ago. I had noticed the idle speed was incredibly fast and fiddling around with the idle screw had no effect. Eventually it got to the point that the truck would stall after ten-fifteen minutes of running. (Running cold it was fine, but when it warmed up it would stall, I had to keep the gas pedal slightly pressed down in order to avoid stalling.)

Anyway to cut to the chase, it sounds like a vaccuum leak. Check all of the hoses, especially around the air filter and carburetor. This was specifically my problem hose, just forgot to put it back on after tweaking with stuff.

I'm not a carb expert but I've worked on Hitachi carbs on a Yamaha and like other carbs if the vehicle is running worse when warmed up it's a sign of the carb being too rich. Richness is caused by float level(s) too high, (idle) pilot mixture too rich, (idle) pilot jet too large, air jets blocked (dirty), dirty air filter, etc.

morleyred
Car: 1995 Pathfinder

My '87 does that unless the gas tank is full, giving hydrostatic head to pass junk on the pump intake screen. The junk is stirred up by driving, then settles to he bottom of the tank when stopped, I think.

Return to “Datsun 720”