84 Nissan 720: fuel to engine issue

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
mueler
Car: 1984 Nissan Datsun King Cab 720 4x4

1984 Nissan Datsun 720 King cab 4x4

I am having trouble getting fuel to my engine.
While driving, the gas pedal stops engaging. Engine then cuts out.
I have always been able to restart the truck within a couple minutes with, or without, the same problems.

-Putting in 2nd gear and pressing very lightly on the gas peddle avoids stalling and sometimes buys enough time for the gas pedal to reengage. Pressing hard= a)nothing, b)jolting and then shut off, c)maybe reengaging.

waynosworld

Check your fuel filter near the tank, maybe it is plugged.

mommocked

CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE RETURN FUEL LINE ISNT CLOGGED

mueler
Car: 1984 Nissan Datsun King Cab 720 4x4

Thanks for your suggestions. We put in a new fuel filter, (and alternator because the alternator went out). It is still stalling, and now the stalling has changed: In the last two weeks I've stalled 5 times. These 5 times have all been in parking lots and after the truck has previously run at least 15 min. I start to take my foot off the clutch (stopsign, reversing, etc) and the truck stalls. When I turn the key, it goes tttttt and either no Vroom, or the vroom chokes out after 2 sec. Continued tries = definitely no Vroom. After 20 minutes to an hour it will start as normal. WHAT's GOING ON! ?

Past type (happened intermittently for the last year but hasn't happened in the last 2 weeks) While driving, the gas pedal stops engaging, Then the engine then cuts out. Truck coasts to stop and will restart within a couple minutes. Might (or might not) keep stalling. Sometimes you can put it in 2nd gear and buy enough time for the gas pedal to reengage.

Recent work done: new fuel filter, new alternator, plugs and wires, rotor and rotorcap, battery (1 yr), battery terminals

busterone
Car: 1984 720 pickup
1994 Nissan Sentra

I am assuming you are running the stock Hitachi carburetor. There are 2 possible issues with that carb. One, there is a small inline fuel screen on the fuel inlet adapter on the front of the carb where the fuel enters the carburetor. Make sure it isn't partially clogged. It is also possible that the float is occasionally sticking, or is out of adjustment, causing the fuel level in the bowl to drop below operating level. There is a fantastic tutorial written by fastboatman29212 on Hitachi carbs in the sticky section that may help you - 720-carburetor-reference-pics-t521844.html

jack sun

maybe the problem is the fuel pump control unit, which is located R.H. dash side panel...
I once had a problem that was solved by replacing that unit....
my 86 720 would run fine and then after returning to the car it would not start until I waited a few mins..
I replaced the unit and no probs since.

Return to “Datsun 720”