84 carb problem,,need help

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
normandeeley

My 8 has been setting for 1/2 a year or more. It had a blown head gasket that I have just fixed. When I tried to start it, the fuel pump was shot. Replaced that. Now it starts right up, but the carb floods. There is the sight glass and I can see it full. Starts up and runs for 15 sec. Then floods. The gas is just running into the top of the carb. have removed the carb twice now. The float checks out When it all together, I can blow nto the gas inlet and the float closes and stops the flow of air, so its working. Anyone have any ideas? Im new here and am grateful to find a resource such as this. I built me a FFR cobra awhile back and found the forum very helpful.

Norm

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

That glass you see through should be half full i think. So have you adjusted the screw on the side for the mix? I don't know much bout carbs sorry. Or my truck would be running.

normandeeley

My understanding of the manual is that the fuel level is adjusted by bending the tab on the float. I may be wrong here. Somethings wrong for sure. I'll look again in the morning

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Yeah. To adjust the float you need to bend the tab. It takes a little while to get it just right, and it should be done with the carb on the engine.

Return to “Datsun 720”