82 4x4 has a problem

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
jwrattlesnake
Car: 1982 datsun 4x4 truck

ok ....i understand z22 motors dont have alot of brake your neck power.....but this is whats going on....i bought the truck 2 weeks ago ....it didnt have alot of power....no biggy there.....but yesterday it started skipping a little and an even bigger power loss....i checked the carb. which is brand new....the plugs brand new...the wires look ifffy.....the cap had some build up not much....this truck was a one owner old man ....never even been put in mud or hill climbing....its in very good shape other than now just boggs like the cat converter might be clogged....i feel alot of exhaust flow when i put my hand on pipe...but its all original so it is bound to need a change....we dont have to have inspections here so no smog control.....i need some help !!!!....i love my nissan...give me something to check please!!!! thanks brothers....GOD BLESS

2kredz3
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

when does the skipping come along? just because there is exhaust flow @ idle doesnt mean there is enough flow @ 4k if you get my drift.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

the problem i've always had with mine is that there are too many things that can cause this symptom...

replace the iffy wires and get a new cap... then start plugging and playing with the vac hoses... get an exhaust system or at least remove the cat... check the fuel flow (new pump?)... could even be something in the head

just play around a little and see what happens

jwrattlesnake
Car: 1982 datsun 4x4 truck

Alright today i put a new dist. cap on and button.....new plug wires and .........carb cleaner and soap and water around the intake to check for leaks.....nuthin.....runs kinda smooth going down the road but still has a skip at idol......floor board it and only does 50mph.....dangit....dont sputter or cut out just boggs like its running on 3 cyl or something....no smoke...drilled holer in cat converter and nuthins in it i think....egr valve is not hooked up??? ....thought maybe yall nissan dudes could give me something i dont know about this thing.....got me puzzled....thanks yall

2kredz3
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

jwrattlesnake wrote:Alright today i put a new dist. cap on and button.....new plug wires and .........carb cleaner and soap and water around the intake to check for leaks.....nuthin.....runs kinda smooth going down the road but still has a skip at idol......floor board it and only does 50mph.....dangit....dont sputter or cut out just boggs like its running on 3 cyl or something....no smoke...drilled holer in cat converter and nuthins in it i think....egr valve is not hooked up??? ....thought maybe yall nissan dudes could give me something i dont know about this thing.....got me puzzled....thanks yall
yep, next plan of attack is to ditch the cat. autozone sells straight pipes and clamps so you can just cut it out and put a piece of pipe in there. . . report back
Modified by 2kredz3 at 6:41 AM 5/7/2009

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

blocked cat will burn your valves and make your truck run progressively worse. Just double check this is clear.

Supererogator
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

Thanks for this advice (even though it was not to *me*)....I'm checking to see if mine is still there tomorrow. If so, and there is any sun on Sun's day, I am gonna get that thing out of there. I could use some more zip.

Return to “Datsun 720”