81 280zx turbo shutting off

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
NFLD81208zx
Car: 1981 280zx turbo

Just wondering if any has any information to share on why my 81 280zx turbo shuts off. The car starts fine and there is lots of spark but after idling for a period of time it will shut off. It may or may not start again for a while. New fuel pump, distributor, rotor, etc. Doesn't appear to be a spark or fuel issue. At a loss. I have an ignition module ordered but not sure it that will solve the issue.

Any ideas.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Welcome to NICO!

Not a lot to go on here and the fact that it's an 81 doesnt help as 81 was a one off year. It had an actual crank mounted CAS whereas the 82-83 had an optic inside the distributor. Having a great deal of experience with these cars just not the 81 specifically, here is what I can tell you.

It's unlikely but possible to loose compression once warm, if you do it's likely a blown HG and will emit plumes of white smoke when you restart it so short of that it's likely a spark or fuel issue.

When the car won't run, check for fuel pressure. I've seen more than one S130, turbo and n/a have a fuel pump that fails when it gets hot, works fine for a while then nothing, being external it's pretty easy to get under there and feel if the pump is hot and if it's running.

Ignitors suck, many of these will fail intermittently when hot, the 82-83 is made as a part of the coil bracket, is expensive and hard to find, sounds like you already have one on order so you'll find out soon enough if that fixes your issue.

Third issue is the CAS, again my experience would be limited to the 82-83 style inside the distributor,but again I have seen these fail intermittently once hot, the crank mounted unit on your 81 might suffer in a similar way.

NFLD81208zx
Car: 1981 280zx turbo

I have replaced the fuel pump and tested the spark. Does not appear to be a spark issue. I'll try the ignition module as it should be here in a few days. If not, I'll check CAS. Thanks

FrenchPople
Car: 1983 Datsun 280ZXT 2+2
2016 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Desert Runner 2WD

I kind of had a similar issue with my 83 s280zx turbo. its not hard to remove but I would take the ecm out and clean the connection's out. I had that and is would cause my z to not run well and sometimes not run at all

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”