81 280zx Fuel Injection

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
81zTurbo
Car: 81 280zx

Hi i have a 81 280zx that is having some problems. It is originally a NON TURBO l28, but i have added a turbo. However, it is not connected to the intake, its only connected to the exhaust manifold (haven't made a down-pipe or hot-side yet) so the car is running without any boost just as a NA car would.

PS: the car has had this revving problem BEFORE i added the Turbo on it, i was thinking the tune up i did at the same time, would fix my problem.

But it didn't.

I can get it to start up just fine. however, it will not rev past 2k rpm. it seems to break up, and SOUNDS like its being starved for fuel.
With it idling i began removing injector pigtails, and there is no difference, even with almost all the injectors disconnected, it idles the same. The car will NOT start at all if the cold start injector is unplugged, but it will start with ONLY the cold start injector connected, this leads me to believe i am only getting fuel out of the cold start injector, but not the normal injectors.

I have tested the wiring and i am able to get 12v on both side of each injector pigtail, also a clicking sound, from all injectors, when grounding the negative side of the coil.
I have good fuel pressure at the rail. and everything else seems in order but just seems to hit a wall after about 2k rpm.

Any suggestions? i have DVM and factory service manual, but im stuck and need some help!

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Does the turbo spin freely? please tell me you did at least hook up the oil lines? Assuming you don't have a seized turbo you've only managed to partially restrict the exhaust and are only costing yourself a small amount of power and making the engine more sluggish. An rpm related issue is generally related to the afm, the fact that it sounds like you are only getting fuel through your cost start injector suggests the problem lies with the ecu, distributor, wiring or relay. The regular injectors should not get 12v, they should get 5v and that's should be in the form or a square wave.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”