79 Fairlady rhd wiring

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
anthony870
Car: '11 Nissan Juke 1.6L Turbo S
'09 Nissan Versa 1.8L S H/B (traded)

I have recently picked up a 79 Fairlady 280Z. When I bought it I originally thought it just needed interior work. Since then there has been a lot of electrical issues popping up. Think I'm gonna have to rewire it. Only things I know that work is interior lights, front wiper and washer, brake and headlights, and speedometer. I had blown fuse for taillights and when I changed it out and turned on switch it blew it out again. My tachometer worked one day and quit when I turned on the blinker.when I turned off blinker it started working again. I also found harness to corner lights have been cut.

So that all said to say this. I'm looking at replacing the wiring harnesses and have found some for the lhd models. Will these work in my rhd fairlady? Just looking at replacing body and dash harnesses right now. Believe engine harness to be good.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I really don't know if the rhd harness will work, i imagine it had all the same circuits just in different places so either it reaches and it's got extra wire or it's too short?

Does the car have an aftermarket radio? often people mistakenly ground aftermarket stereo's to the lighting circuit. Also I've seen a lot of cars loose their ground circuit due to rust, there should be a chassis ground somewhere int he back of the car coming off the tail light harness, make sure you have a good ground, could also be bad sockets, you can remove the bulbs, retest then plug in the bulbs one at a time until you find the culprit.

anthony870
Car: '11 Nissan Juke 1.6L Turbo S
'09 Nissan Versa 1.8L S H/B (traded)

Yes it does have aftermarket radio. It's not working either. I will have to check wiring there and see how it's hooked up. Haven't had a chance to check grounds yet.

I was thinking the same with harnesses. Don't mind having more or being a little short. Just hoping they didn't change any of the connectors. Finding ones for rhd model seems impossible. Hate to spend that kind of money on lhd harness and it not work.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”