'77 620 Drum Brake Adjustment Explanation?

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
rdurost

Hello All-

I was just given a one-owner 1977 620 regular cab/short bed. It runs great and I'm taking care of some "deferred maintenance" things. The right front drum brake was virtually locked up, so I loosened it up, but I need some explanation of the directions.

The '78 Service Manual I downloaded here:

http://www.olddatsuns.com/data...8.pdf

says on page BR-2 (page 349 of the PDF) "lightly tap adjuster housing and move it forward" in the directions for adjusting the rear drum brakes (front discs in '78, of course) before turning the cog wheel adjuster. I assume this causes the ratchet/pawl that engages the wheel to retract and allow the adjuster cog wheel to be easily moved.

Problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out what they mean by "adjuster housing." My setup looks identical to the illustration. What I'm seeing is what appears to be a spring clip a bit like a stretched horseshoe that is retaining something that looks like a square bolt head. I tried tapping this backward and forward but nothing seems to move. I'm concerned because I can turn the adjuster wheel in either direction without much resistance, so it seems like the ratchet isn't engaging.

The previous owner says he had problems from day one with the brakes constantly needing manual adjustment, for what it's worth.

I'd pull the wheel but I don't have a dry place to work.

Please help me, O Sages of the Busted Knuckles!

Thanks.

IMH

If the rear brakes on a 620 are anything like a 320 and I believe they are, you probably have a bent or broken spring lock. It's supposed to ride between the teeth of the adjuster wheel and if it's bent or broken it won't put enough pressure on the adjuster to keep it from moving.

rdurost

Sounds right. Do you have any idea what they mean by "lightly tap adjuster housing and move it forward"?

moparvwfreak
Car: 1973 Datusn 620 4 spd(sold), 1973 Datsun 620 5spd, 1993 BMW 325I, various VWs and now a CB7 Accord

it means to center the adjuster to give an even adjustment. i scratched my head on that one to for my 73. but i figured it out after i played with it and took em apart ot lube and clean everything.

Return to “Datsun 620”