720 pickup with a rough idle

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
jedman
Car: 1985 4wd nissan 720 pickup

i just recently got my little 85 720 4wd and it has had a rough idle since ive bought it ive replaced damn near all the vacuum lines and still same rough idle replace intake manifold gasket adjusted valves checked the egr still same crap so i said screw it and ive been driving it around town at 1000 rpm runs great but i cant do a california smog like that i whent to time the engine and found no distributor vacuum so ive been running with no vacuum advance does anyone know wich valve controls the vacuum advance or why i might have this problem

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

vac advance... its the only hose i run and mine purrs like a dream

fix it and see if it works... get back to us and let us know

jedman

ok so i switched some hoses around and found the one i needed hooked it up to the base of the carb found a very strong inprovement but it still has a slight miss at idle thanks for the help man

how can i add pics to the page ill show u my truck...
Modified by jedman at 4:31 PM 9/10/2009

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

jedman wrote:ok so i switched some hoses around and found the one i needed hooked it up to the base of the carb found a very strong inprovement but it still has a slight miss at idle thanks for the help man

how can i add pics to the page ill show u my truck...

Modified by jedman at 4:31 PM 9/10/2009
Posting pics is easy. You will need to use an image host like tinypic and post the [img][/img] code for forums.

jedman

okay so heres my truck granted it has over 215k on it and it hasnt been smogged in over ten years but it was free and it has plenty of power[IMG][/IMG]

and these things have quite a few vacuum lines ive put 24 feet in it so far[IMG][/IMG]

PEZi

jedman wrote:
and these things have quite a few vacuum lines ive put 24 feet in it so far
yep... that's why i deleted all of mine... i only have the vac advance to the distributor and that's it

you of course wouldn't pass smog but i don't have to worry about that

as you can see from the pic i posted... i deleted many things because when i got mine it looked the exact same as yours

85NIS720
Car: '85 Nissan 720

How well does it run after you deleted the vac lines? Mine still idles pretty rough after replacing all the vac lines, and I just want to know if deleting them will make it run smoother.

PEZi

it runs smoother... but rich

without modifying the airbox or something equal to that like i did... and getting a lot of spark like i have... or a free flowing exhaust like i have.... i don't think it would run that well

85NIS720
Car: '85 Nissan 720

Thanks. No need for me to do it then, i've got a free flowing exhaust and a modified air box.

PEZi

you do have them???

then all you need is some spark to get it running good...

what i was trying to say is on a restricted exhaust with limited airflow and stock spark you won't burn up the extra fuel removing the hoses dumps in there... all you need is some good plugs with the modded air box and exhaust and then removing the hoses is ok

slvrwrx
Car: Datsun 720 Pickup
2.4l, 2wd, 5 speed
short bed, short cab

PEZi720 wrote:vac advance... its the only hose i run and mine purrs like a dream

fix it and see if it works... get back to us and let us know
hey im trying to do the same thing, disconnect all the vaccum crap i dont need. what about the egr valve behind the carburator? can you take a picture of whats behind your air filter?

h2theizzo
Car: 1980 720, 1985 720 KC 4x4, 1980 4x4

egr can be deleted!

only things i run on my truck,

PCV, positive crank vent. That one is good to leave hooked up. its the tube that comes out of the side of the block to the intake. I would suggest running that.

I run the booster for the brakes

And then vacuum advance for the dizzy. thats it, all the other crap can be taken off and blocked off.

PEZi

h2theizzo wrote:egr can be deleted!

only things i run on my truck,

PCV, positive crank vent. That one is good to leave hooked up. its the tube that comes out of the side of the block to the intake. I would suggest running that.

I run the booster for the brakes

And then vacuum advance for the dizzy. thats it, all the other crap can be taken off and blocked off.
this is the same setup i have...

the EGR will need to be blocked off at the intake really well so there are no air leaks... and the the hole in the exhaust side plugged (easiest if you can find the proper threaded plug to just screw in there)

slvrwrx
Car: Datsun 720 Pickup
2.4l, 2wd, 5 speed
short bed, short cab

i actually got it all figured out. thanks for that picture and the info.. my truck now runs wayyyy smoother..

Return to “Datsun 720”