720 diesel 1985

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
bobcam

My diesel will start and run if i hold the key on because as soon as i let the key go it will stop can anyone help me as i must be a electrical problemthank you

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Welcome to the forum.

First we need a little more info. What changes have you made and what have you tried? Are there any other issues?

It may be an electrical issue, but no way to help out based on your post.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

You start the car and then let go of the key and and it runs but cuts off or it just cuts off after starting with little to no idle before it goes off?

Ignition? Diesels have different spark then gasoline motors, right?

Have you had it in any shop lately? (I am seriously afraid to let anyone I don't know work on my stuff, from bad prior experiences) or did you change anything out in it?

IMH

Sounds like a bad ballast resistor to me at least based on the minimal description of the problem.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

breadbox wrote:
Ignition? Diesels have different spark then gasoline motors, right?
indeed... no actual spark plugs...
breadbox wrote:Have you had it in any shop lately? (I am seriously afraid to let anyone I don't know work on my stuff, from bad prior experiences) or did you change anything out in it?
yeah no kidding... i had a fuel pump replaced once and it went out again after 4 months.... fixed it and got my money back from them

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

PEZi303 wrote:yeah no kidding... i had a fuel pump replaced once and it went out again after 4 months.... fixed it and got my money back from them
Let's see:"replaced rad cap" but found it on my valve cover.

Got car back once and they didn't reconnect the VC breath hose.(Not major but REALLY?!)

My mom has my ex-car a GS-t, I gave it to her after HG started leaking. Took it in and they put it back together now it sounds like **** (Loud belt sound) and needs a new rad after they overtightened the hose clamps and broke the plastic upper tube outlet.

These are just a couple little things, luckily I haven't been screwed over majorly.

Return to “Datsun 720”