71 521 project

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
daturner71

I am starting a restoration of a 71 PU and am excited about the project.  I have no idea what parts will be a problem but I picked it up on a trade for a couple of brake jobs. It had been in storage for 10 years.  With a new battery and a little coxing It started right up but found out quickly that I had to change all the brake slaves and brake master and clutch slave and master.  The body is in good condition but the interion is a mess. I need to find a dash and don't want to just put a cover on it. Does any body have any suggestions.  Is there a way to replace the vinal part of the dash? I will also need door arm rests.:cool:

Pac. coast Datsun

The dash's are the 1st thing to go bad in these trucks. Finding a decent top half is a challenge & might require a few trips to the local junkyard. I know if you take a hair dryer to the plastic on the dash the pieces will come off easily. From there you may have to redo the foam in spots & then recover it in matching viynl. Armrests...junkyard time..:D Any pics of the truck?

daturner71

I will put pics soon.  I was wondering if I use the spray foam in the split parts of the dash and after it dries shave and sand it smothe then contact cement new vinl over the old vinl. Since the this dash has fairly straight lines there won't be too much stretching or wrinkling.  If I have to I can make some arm rests out of steel and glue some foam and vinl to it also.  I had to put some 1/2 inch square tube at the place where the hood usually starts to bend at the outside edges.  The drive home after the brakes were finished was nice.  It ran great.  Everything seems to work but if anybody has any warnings or suggestions I would appreciate it.

mklotz70

That's exactly how I did my wife's dash.  Expanding foam in the cracks, the sanded everything down flush.  While you're at it, you can add an extra screw or two to help hold the defroster ducts.  I also welded the screws to the pad piece.  They are phillips screws that come down from the pad side and bolt it to the front dash piece.  JB weld would work if you don't have a welder.  You'll understand what I'm talking about when you actually take the pad off.....or try to :)

Just make sure you get spray glue that is heat rated.  Either get it at an upholstery shop, of some of the fabric stores around here carry it.  I haven't seen any with a heat rating at either Lowe's or Home Depot.....so don't get their stuff unless you want it to release when it's out in the sun.  If it doesn't specifically say it can be used for headliners, don't get it.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”