'68 Datsun 2000 Brake pedal hits the floor.

Fairlady, Datsun Sports, Roadsters... whatever you want to call them, this is the place to discuss the Datsun SPL311 and SRL311!
AidanDawn2000
Car: 1968 Datsun 2000. More rust than roadster.

I am Sixteen and love cars. I recently acquired a '68 Datsun 2000 that had been siting for years and everything is great except for a growing lack of floorboards and a middle pedal that hits the floor. I think the system just needs to be bled. Can anyone tell me the procedure for this? And what Brake fluid to use?

Thanks.

Andy_In_SD
Car: 1970 - 2000 5spd Roadster, 1966 SPL311-1600 Roadster

Hi AidanDawn,

You'll need DOT-3 brake fluid, a wrench (10,11 or 12 mm), 1/4" air line for fish tanks, a mason jar.

Open the hood and look at the firewall in front of the driver. You'll see 2 sets of plastic canisters. They are vertical on aluminum assemblies.

Now open another browser and type in "roadster brake master cylinder" and look at the images.

Yours should have 2 plastic containers (as it is a 68). The front one is for you front brakes, the one closest to the firewall is for the rear brakes.

Pop the covers off of both.

If YES then do this. Remove both front tires and put car on jacks. You will see the rotor (the round metal that spins). There is also a brake caliper.

In your other browser type in "datsun roadster brake caliper" and look at images.

The caliper on the back side of the wheel has a small bolt thing on top with a "nipple" thing on it (it's called the bleeder). Put a piece of 1/4" tube on that and loosen it. You can use air line for fish tanks to do that. Put the other end into a mason jar (have it rest on the bottom of the jar). Now fill that master cylinder (the white plastic) with brake fluid.

Pump the brake. You should see the level drop in the plastic container. Look at the mason jar. Did anything come out? Keep filling & pumping. Don't let the master cylinder go dry. Once you see clean brake fluid coming into the mason jar, tighten the bleeder.

Pump your brakes and look into the master cylinder. Do you see black gunk bubbling up or air bubbles? If so then you need a rebuild kit for that (not expensive).
No gunk but wheels don't stop (spin wheels then press brakes), then you need a caliper rebuild kit for them (1 kit should cover 2 calipers). These are cheap.

Congrats on the car. I just gave my daughter (shes 18) a 1966 roadster that she's working on and learning as well.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Nice work, Andy!

Welcome aboard, AidanDawn.

This article may help as well: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/datsun ... ipers.html

Lastly, and this is the BEST advice I can offer to a 16-year-old future gearhead: Read, read, read! You're already in the right forum, so grab a notepad (to make note of things for your car) and start reading discussions. You'll learn a ton, and PLEASE don't be afraid to ask questions. :)

AidanDawn2000

Thank you all so much! When getting the car in the air do you have to use the original jack? The one that the holes in the door sills are made for.

Andy_In_SD

Don't use the original jack.

Get a hydraulic car jack from the car parts store (pep boys, kragen, oreily, autozone etc...).

Put it under the frame (super solid box that runs front to back both side of the car). Don't put a jack on the sheet metal part (ie: floor board).

search google images for "hydraulic car jack", you'll see what it looks like

AidanDawn2000

Hi guys. I finally got myself a big bottle of DOT 3 and took the wheels of my car. I got my 11mm ring wrench and tried to turn the bleeder screw. IT WOULD NOT BUDGE! So I hit it with some WD40 and let it sit overnight. Next day I only succeeded in rounding the screw. This description goes for both front brakes. Any tricks for getting these loose? And as I will undoubtedly need new ones is there anywhere to fined theme cheeper than DatsunParts.com which charges $40.

Thank You.

Andy_In_SD

Hi Aidan,

I get them elsewhere, forgot where exactly (and likely you have different stores in your area anyway). Use a vise grip to remove it, then take it to an auto parts store and have them match it. Buy a couple so you have spares. Wad up some plastic or something to stuff into where the bleeder goes to stem the flow of brake fluid, or allow it to drain into a bucket (don't reuse it).

Return to “Datsun Roadster”