'68 Datsun 1600 overheating badly

Fairlady, Datsun Sports, Roadsters... whatever you want to call them, this is the place to discuss the Datsun SPL311 and SRL311!
JustinW.
Car: 1968 Datsun 1600 Sports

New to Datsun need some help please!

I'm 16 and am working on a 1968 Datsun 1600 for one of my parents friends. I got the engine running GREAT and the trans is also really good. But I've come across a problem. Its overheating badly. I checked the radiator, and I don't know if its supposed to be full, but that little cup that the cap screws on that's mounted on the engine is not filled with water, and I don't know if it should be. I filled it with water and it took a lot but all the sudden water started coming out of the bottom of the engine. I'm hoping that its just the main line that goes from the rad to the engine. Is there any way to get to it? Could it be something else? I'd really like to get this car running good because it sounds really good. Thanks!
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu May 28, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised title

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO!

I've revised your thread title to get more people interested in helping out.

JustinW.

Ok thanks

Andy_In_SD
Car: 1970 - 2000 5spd Roadster, 1966 SPL311-1600 Roadster

"all the sudden water started coming out of the bottom of the engine."

Do you mean where the fat hose goes from the engine to the radiator? (I'm hoping so!).

If so, then the hose just popped off. You need to be careful with the inlet / outlet pipes that the hoses connect to on the engine as they are prone to wearing down over the years (aluminum rot).

If the radiator is clogged it can cause pressure to build up too. If so, take the radiator hose off the bottom and run a garden hose into it to see what the water flow is. If it is sluggish, then the radiator core is probably clogged. If so, the easiest way to deal with it is to get it "re cored". They keep the top and bottom tanks, and replace the fin looking stuff. If you do that, get the "triple core". It's the best.

JustinW.

Ok. So I fixed the leaking problem. There was no plug in a hole under the intake. But it still overheats. Is there a thermostat on it and if so where is it

Andy_In_SD

Yup there is a thermostat.

It should be under the large hose that runs from the engine to the radiator. There should be 2 (or 3) bolts.

If you are overheating, things to look for:

Thermostat (yup you are looking there).
Clogged radiator (see my previous reply on that subject).
Water pump (loosen the alternator, the one bolt that holds it on a rail. The wiggle the blades on the water pump fand. If it wobbles or doesn't spin your water pump needs to be fixed).
Kinked hose between radiator & engine (either of the 2 big hoses).

Pull out the dip stick and let me know if you see grey foam.

Andy_In_SD

The thermostat should be under a housing on the engine side of the big hose (the top one). <== I forgot to mention that detail.

JustinW.

Ok. Which side is it on when your siting in the car. Thanks for all the help.

Andy_In_SD

Provided everything is stock.

If not, then take a pic, put it on some hosting site, or find the matching engine pic in google images and let me which one to look at, and I'll take a look and let you know where it is.

When you look at the water pump with the fan on it at the top is a "tower" with the water filler cap. You'll see that has 2 bolts. Those 2 bolts attach that piece to the cylinder head. Loosen those bolts and remove that tower. The thermostat is right underneath.

Those bolts may be tough to loosen due to time, you can give them some liquid wrench and let it soak down the length of those bolts (they're as long as that tower plus around a half inch). Don't force it too hard, if they seem pretty stuck, soak them, let it soak in, repeat. Also, when you remove the housing look for any corrosion and clean that up.

When you are ready to put the tower assembly back on, you can cut your own gasket really easy for that part (I've always cut my own). You can get gasket material at any auto supply store and just trace the old gasket with a sharpie onto it, the cut away with scissors.

Glad to help.
Let me know if you are successful!

Andy

Andy_In_SD

Hey Justin,

If you haven't pulled the thermostat yet do this.

Remove the radiator cap, and with it off fire the car up. When you do that is it like a fountain shooting coolant out?

If so, let me know, you have some work to do and I can give you directions.

Andy

JustinW.

Ok I'll try that. I haven't been working on it and might not be for a couple days. The owner went on vac.

Return to “Datsun Roadster”