650+ KADET's

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

Ya he is a member here, and how can you not be impressed he beat a damn viper!!!! That is surely enough to impress the hell outta me.

kansaidrift

Hey trueslide, you should just open up a chatroom, if you want to discuss KA turbo, i'd be more then up for it. Besides i'm not going anywhere for awhile.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

kansaidrift wrote:I'm just saying freshalloy might not be too bad of an idea. Asad, PSI240sx, and those fellas seem to have there **** together. In fact PSI240sx has his own website. He runs 26lbs of boost, although i'm not real impressed with his hp numbers. I think his turbine is really restricted him. Anyhow, there was a cool video posted a while back of him racing, and beating a viper. He takes it by about two car lengths. Its tight.

How are you not impressed with nearly 400 whp and over 400 lb-ft at the ground?

TrueSlide

Already a 240sx chat room

its IRC Efnet servers#240sx

kansaidrift

I'll try to find the chatroom. Ok, let me modify my previous statement. PSI240sx is damn fast. However i think his wheel hp is suffering do to his turbine size. I think on his website he posts hp at in the high 300's. But yes, beating a viper that costs three times as much as his car is impressive.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

His torque is what's impressive. That, and how the car looks stock on the outside and can get sideways through the top of 3rd gear with autoX tires on.

kansaidrift

Just a qeustion, how the hell does he ever grab traction with a set of 225's on the rear. Last i looked thats what he's running right? Anyhow, i talked to a buddy of his and he said he wanted to upgrade the tire size, but was concerned that even with a wider tire patch, the lower profile sidewalls would be to stiff to give good straight line traction. Oh, and how do i get to this chatroom trueslide is talking about, i seem to be having a time with it?

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

thats madness!

-Dan

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

kansaidrift wrote:Just a qeustion, how the hell does he ever grab traction with a set of 225's on the rear. Last i looked thats what he's running right? Anyhow, i talked to a buddy of his and he said he wanted to upgrade the tire size, but was concerned that even with a wider tire patch, the lower profile sidewalls would be to stiff to give good straight line traction. Oh, and how do i get to this chatroom trueslide is talking about, i seem to be having a time with it?

I don't know what size he's running right now. But anyway, the car is for sale.

kansaidrift

Thats awesome, where's it for sale at? On ebay or does he just have the word out? Oh, and how much is he asking? Yep, and one last qeustion, i still can't find the damn chatroom. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh to be computer literate, what i wouldn't give.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

I think it's just word. But I believe he was asking $15k for it. He made a post for it in the buy/sell/trade forum on this site a while back.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Here, I looked back for his post, and here it is:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....=6559

It says "make offer" so I don't know what he would take for it. I would guess around $15k though, but you'd have to ask him.

LarryStooge

whats the link to his site? I keep getting "page cannot be displayed" when i try to go to it through his profile.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....shtml

RYNO_s13
Car: Kickboxing, driving like I stole it.

Just a silly question, WD, you mentioned that you wanted this beast streetable, what about practical? Methanol? While I respect your overall goal, I have to wonder What's the point. Everyone has been giving a lot of ways to gain power, but to what end? Are you looking to enter IHRA? Unless you're going for <9's, I don't see a purpose in going that route. And if you are aiming for <9, streetable isn't really an option anymore.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Actually methonal/alcohol is probably one of the best things I've ever installed on any of my cars. With the Alky injection on my car I added 83 rwhp. The alky allowed me to up the boost 9.5 psi with no knock indicated netting the additional hp while keeping a 12.2/1 A/F curve.

The alky/methonal is not on all the time. Only under high boost conditions. When I run low boost(street driven) the meth/alky will not be engaged. I've been using alky for the last 3 years. The Buick Boys have been using it for atleast 10. I can't think of a better way to run high boost safely.

As far as rods and stroke go, I'm going to maintain factory specs. I'm quite sure that with crank and valve train work I'll be able to rev towards 8000. I also have a ton of experience with vibration analysis. Not to mention access to all the equipment for free. So I'll know what will work and what won't prior to anything exploding.

If I use N20 with the setup I've planned then 650 will be easily attainable. What I would like to do is get there without N20. I might have to use a small squirt untill boost builds but I can accept that.

The main reason I want to build this engine is for the rarity. Everyone does thr SR swap, soon everyone will have an RB. But you don't see insane KADET's rolling around. Plus I've always rooted for the underdog and I need a good project when I get home.

PS...lets try to keep on subject here fella's...use the PM if you want to talk about other things.

WD

RYNO_s13

What about cams? Are you planning to go with a more aggressive lobe profile? In trying to keep it street driven I would imagine you may have an issue with idle. As your valve overlap increases, you tend to lope.

WDRacing

I'll be running custom cams. Not sure about the lift yet but somwhere around the 272 mark for duration. Both in/ex being the same or very similer.

Cams is one aspect of the KA that people very rarly talk about online. I've looked all over the place only to come up disappointed. Not many peole run alot of duration on there KA's. I'd like to hear more about this. I'd have to say most of my cars have run cam combo's that had already been tried. This will be a first for me.

WD

RYNO_s13

Cams are not a very popular mod. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it's not very glamorous(sic?) but I'd recommend a longer than stock duration, but don't go overboard. Look into Crower and Gude. Crane and JWT also have cam swaps for the KA, but I've heard JWT's overlap is a bit too long. I haven't had any firsthand experience with Crane or JWT, but they're both reputable companies. Hope that helps, but if not, I do have George's email if you want to ask him....

TrueSlide

http://www.pdm-racing.com

They sell custom cams made by COLT. Could be worth checking out and Iam sure if none of them make a cam that doesn't fit your specs, they will probley be more then happy to custom make em.

I am Technoman
Car: ???

I use the Nissmo cams on a n/a Ka24de and I got 12 RWH.I think these cams would pull more like 20hp with a turbo...248 degree 390 duration both sides..

240racer

I haven't gotten to the point where I need to replace my cams, but what I hear from my friends that have high boost supras is that you want long duration, with less overlap. This prevents some of the charge air from going out the exhaust valves. I'm not saying I think it's the way to go, just a thought to consider.

Also, as far as longer rods go, you want them as short as possible and here's why. They are a pinned beam in compression that's only fear is buckling and short and fatter is better. Also, they are in tension too, but length doesn't matter there, just having minimal stress risers.

If you are running towards 8000 rpm and making 650hp, then I don't think any torque attributes that the KA has stock will matter. If you shift at 8000 rpm, you will only fall back down to 5000rpm in first and 5500 in second. So I don't see much of a point of worrying about power/torque at anything below 4000rpm (to give a little buffer for corners or something)

I have heard that the KA crank starts to have problems at over 400rwhp, does anybody have any more input in this area?

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

You don't want shorter rods.... you want longer ones.

By longer, I never meant thinner. By all means, make them beefy. But they need to be longer than stock, not shorter. Shorter rods will cause the sideload on the bearings to be way too high. It will lead to bearing failure and will prevent you from revving high because it makes for a worse rod:stroke ratio. The longer rods will make a better rod:stroke ratio than stock, allowing you to rev higher.

WDRacing

George is a lying c***$ucker...

I have a few machine shops I can turn to in the cam department. I'm not to overly concerned there. I was reading up on Duy's car. He made some real nice power with quite a bit less then I actually plan on doing. Which gives me a nice warm and fuzzy...

Thx for all the suggestions so far guys. But like EZcheese said, she's just in the planning stg right now.

For a fuel system I think I'm going with a Barry Grant setup. I've never heard of anyone having any problems with the BG stuff. Not sure about injectors yet, possibly 100 pounders.

WD

TrueSlide

what size turbo do you actualy plan to go with, and you gotta have nice sized chiller to compensate :D. Longer rods would increase compression, right? Is that something you would really want to do, I really don't consider a street legal car that can only run off race gas to be really streetable, but I guess you can get longer rods with pistons that dip in.

Man you guys got me all confused again!!!! CA or KA?!?!??!?!?!

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

TrueSlide wrote:what size turbo do you actualy plan to go with, and you gotta have nice sized chiller to compensate :D. Longer rods would increase compression, right? Is that something you would really want to do, I really don't consider a street legal car that can only run off race gas to be really streetable, but I guess you can get longer rods with pistons that dip in.

Man you guys got me all confused again!!!! CA or KA?!?!??!?!?!

Longer rods won't increase compression, it will just shorten stroke. The only thing that changes compression must be done above the piston. For instance, piston dish/dome, or head gasket, or milled head.

TrueSlide

Nice, learn something new everyday. What length of rod would be good to take the KA to about a 7.5-8k redline?

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

EZcheese15 wrote:Longer rods won't increase compression, it will just shorten stroke. The only thing that changes compression must be done above the piston. For instance, piston dish/dome, or head gasket, or milled head.

Longer rods will not change the stroke. Only changing the the crankshaft will change the stroke. The rod will stand straight up at TDC and BDC. The stroke is the exact distance from the center of the rod bearing at the highest and lowest point. Changing the rod length will not change that.

On another note, Performace Cams for a turbo and NA motor are made differently. NA cams are usually made with a good amount of overlap to assist in the scavenging effects of a well matched set of headers. If you run too much overlap on a turbo motor, some of the boost air will just be sent out the exhaust. Turbo cams generally run little to no overlap.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

C-Kwik wrote:Longer rods will not change the stroke. Only changing the the crankshaft will change the stroke. The rod will stand straight up at TDC and BDC. The stroke is the exact distance from the center of the rod bearing at the highest and lowest point. Changing the rod length will not change that.

On another note, Performace Cams for a turbo and NA motor are made differently. NA cams are usually made with a good amount of overlap to assist in the scavenging effects of a well matched set of headers. If you run too much overlap on a turbo motor, some of the boost air will just be sent out the exhaust. Turbo cams generally run little to no overlap.

Doh! Thanks for correcting me. I wasn't thinking right. I tend to become retarded from time to time. :)

LarryStooge

EZcheese15 wrote:Doh! Thanks for correcting me. I wasn't thinking right. I tend to become retarded from time to time. :)

yep, i think we all do that. When i was about 5 years old I was screwing with this cool speedometer for my bike that my parents bought me for christmas, and crashed into a parked car in front of a ****load of my friends. They still haven't let that go.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”