'65 NL 320

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
odpl_SteveB

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased this NL in northern Cal.  I think I'll need some guidance with this one.  Thanks for the support!

Steve

1963 NL 320
Car: 1963 Datsun NL320
1964 Datsun NL320

Great looking start.  Be careful, they tend to multiply.  Ask my wife about my THREE...

Dave

mklotz70

Go to www.the620.com tech page and download the 320 manuals. 

Love the NL's!!!!!!  Congrats!   You'll find out there's two kinds of Datsun people......those that have NL's and those that wish they had an NL!!!  lol!  j/k!!!  I certainly enjoy that joke more since I have one sitting in the backyard!! :)

odpl_SteveB

Already did.  THANKS!!!!!  I used the wiring sheet to get things hooked back up.  No luck so far in getting spark.  Lucus gen & VR don't match up.

Also, has anybody seen this set up? I don't think it's stock.

Thanks again,

Steve 

mklotz70

Actually....thank KenBagby for the 320 manuals.....he provided the masters :)

You actually don't need any of that to get a spark.....if all you're trying to do is to get it started.  You can run a hot wire to the coil and a remote start switch to the starter.  It will allow you to troubleshoot the ign sys indepent of the rest of the rig. 

PacCoast is on this forum too......maybe he can remember the thread name of the one we did trying to get his 320 running(it was on the nwde forum).  I've done a couple of threads helping guys trouble shoot the "no spark" problem.  I'm short on time these days.....so if he can tell you where that one is, it will get you started. 

You'll at least need a test light.....$3 at Harbor Freight....$4 or so at any other parts store.

Oh....just don't forget you're troubleshooting a positive ground system.

odpl_SteveB

Thanks!

mklotz70

That's the stock speedo, but not tach.  So where did they put the gauges?

mklotz70

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mike/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mike/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/img]They should look more like these.....although I have no clue what the 100mph speedo is from, but it sure looks to be a 320 piece.  

1963 NL 320
Car: 1963 Datsun NL320
1964 Datsun NL320

The 100 mph speedo may be early roadster like 63 maybe.  The 64 thru 67 was much larger then they went back to smaller in 68 thru 70.  I think those were 120 mph and 160 mph for the 2000.

odpl_SteveB

The other gauges are under the dash.  I think I may keep the tach because I believe it's period correct.  I do have the original gauge cluster, but it came disassembled in a box and it's in pretty bad shape.  Thanks for the pics!  I appreciate all the info.  I'll be attempting to get it running tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

mklotz70

I did a bit of looking and found examples of the '65+ roadster gauges...the lettering is quite a bit different.  Maybe it was an option?  It's in mph so I doubt it's a JDM gauge.  Anyway......

Good luck.  Let us know how things turn out.

IMH

The tach is a 'Smiths' gauge which I believe is British and most likely come from a British Leyland product like an MG, Austin/Healy, etc.

mklotz70

I just looked at the full size pic......the tach says negative earth on it, so I'm guessing someone has already switched your rig to neg ground. 

According to 'aholic, my temp gauges are pegged at H because they've been subjected to neg ground at some point. 

That's a pretty nice looking tach....fits the dash nicely.  If you could find the matching speedo for it, even better. :)

IMH

Like this one?  He also appears to have the tach shown by SteveB.  Technically, I would also be Steve B. since my name is Stephen Blakeney.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MG-MGB-M ... otohosting

71-521

[user=5]mklotz70[/user] wrote: so did doug say what the remedy was for that?
[quote] According to 'aholic, my temp gauges are pegged at H because they've been subjected to neg ground at some point.

[/quote]

mklotz70

nope

Pac. coast Datsun

Mike i cant find that thread [site is too slow] but i remember my problem lied inside the dist. with the points grounding out & not letting it start. Steve id start by inspecting the wiring harness to see if any wires are exposed. Then make sure the red batt. wire is hooked up as ground & use your test light & check for spark @ the points , coil etc... Mklotz is better at electrical than me but between us we can both help you. My problem was the points were grounding out, look @ the bottom of the dist. where the wires go. I used a small section of a plastic mik jug to "isolate" the points from the metal base. This may not be your problem too but may help.

Return to “Datsun 320”