6.5 components in door panels?

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
Milkman Dan

was gonna post this in the car stereo forum, but it doesn't look like many people use it yet...

does anyone have 6.5's in their door panels that could give me some advice about getting them in there?

a friend of mine is getting me some rainbow dream line 6.5's apparently they're pretty good components, I was going to put Infinity Kappa 4x6's in there but I know that I've seen pictures of 240's with 6.5's so I'm sure it can be done, just want to figure out the best way to do it. thanks.

SLIMMY240
Car: CARS, RACING

do you have a s13 or s14? i got ma audio 6.5 competition components in my s14, they fit right in, except that the magnet is touching a plastic piece on the door panel because of its thickness. other then that there should be no problem putting them in, they sound real good too.

Milkman Dan

s13, sorry... there's regularly a plastic mounting brace for the 4x6's dunno if it should be cut or removed or what, etc. I really could use someone telling me exactly what they used to mount the speakers in there.

Zebrahead
Car: cars, basketball, girls, fishing

Milkman Dan wrote:s13, sorry... there's regularly a plastic mounting brace for the 4x6's dunno if it should be cut or removed or what, etc. I really could use someone telling me exactly what they used to mount the speakers in there.

Correct. I had to get mine removed. Damned labor cost twice as much as the speakers. I didn't get components, because I got a sub, so the clarity of the bass from the speakers doesn't really matter. Haha. I've got Infinity 6.5"s all around and it sounds great. I can go 75mph on the highway with the windows rolled down and I can still make it more than loud enough to hear it clearly.

Nick.

(They're unamped, also. My V-Drive Alpine deck provides 27rms to each speaker).

bruinbear714

If you're talking about S14, then you can fit 6.5 in there without any major problems. Only issue you will have is the back of the speaker might hit the plastic housing, but you can cut that off. Just make sure you block off the holes so water doesn't get to the speaker/crossover in case of rain or carwash.

I installed my 6.5" CDT Eurosports a couple of weeks ago and they made a world of difference.

TimzSE

I have 6x5 Kenmores at all four corners in my s14. Since the car has oversized 6x5's, stock, I *think*, I had to drill holes adn zip tie it into place in the stock plastic holder. It was very easy and very neat and *so far* I don't ahve any rattles. I'm putting in a new headunit next week, so time will tell.

BTW, is there anything I need to know about putting a new head unit in place of the factory one in an s14? Is there a radio code or any specific things I need to watch out for and/or plan for?

Anyone, anyone...Buehler, Buehler?

Milkman Dan

okay, maybe I need to make it more clear that this is an

S13

the stock speakers are only 4x6's which means more cutting than if it was a stock 6.5" speaker obviously... I think it might mean fabricating a new mount, but I don't know, anybody that has done this by themselves with an S13 have any input?

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

TimzSE wrote:I have 6x5 Kenmores at all four corners in my s14. Since the car has oversized 6x5's, stock, I *think*, I had to drill holes adn zip tie it into place in the stock plastic holder. It was very easy and very neat and *so far* I don't ahve any rattles. I'm putting in a new headunit next week, so time will tell.

BTW, is there anything I need to know about putting a new head unit in place of the factory one in an s14? Is there a radio code or any specific things I need to watch out for and/or plan for?

Anyone, anyone...Buehler, Buehler?

NO, nothing really, just make sure that when ure undoing all the clips that hold the pieces in place (i.e. the shift cover panel, or vents, etc) that u put a piece of cloth or something soft over the end of a screw driver to pop those loose, otherwise u can mark up the plastic/vinyl. ive swapped my headunit and am now gettin ready to swap in another, the only problems i ran into was disconnecting the wire to the cigerette lighter (the first time i just left it hangin to the side wihtout unpluggin it, and the not using something soft around the screw driver...also remember to disconnect the hazard lights/rear window defogger b4 ripping that out...other than that, its a cinch...seriously, it shouldnt take you long.

-Dan

KSee777

LMAO... this poor fellow is asking a question about the S13 :slap I wondered the same thing. I got people suggesting taking out the amp, then use a peice of plywood with a 6.5" hole and use that as an "adapter". I haven't tried that myself yet.

burningskulls

I had to put 5.25" in my S13 but I bought components and the tweeter is also mounted in the door so that probably affected size.

Dragon240

From replacing my speakers I don't think it'd be to hard to remove that black crap that they call a "mount" that and the amp in door and I'm planning to figure a way to cram 6x9's in there, I'll post my progress when I get around to it.

Cyberkreig
Car: 1993 240sx (SR )

I dont know this person, and i dont know that he isnt a ripoff. But if its all legit this would solve the problem. http://www.geocities.com/s13accessories/home.html

sims

so are you getting the rainbow's? from what i hear they are some amazing sounding speakers.

Milkman Dan

Cyberkreig wrote:I dont know this person, and i dont know that he isnt a ripoff. But if its all legit this would solve the problem. http://www.geocities.com/s13accessories/home.html

wow, that should do the trick quite nicely... I suppose I could also try cutting out MDF, I'll see how easy it'd be to line up, but if I don't feel like going through the trouble of cutting out the MDF then it looks like I'll order those acrylic mounts, I'll post about how well they work if I get them.

nismo_man

has anyone done the work yet?i have a s13 and i plan on putting components all around and i was wondering what size to do? Dan

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”