5w-30, 5w-20, 0w-20????

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
daggonit
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Sport

This may have already been covered under another topic but I couldn't find anything using the search function.

I am getting close to my first oil change on the Versa. I know I want to use a synthetic but I've been hearing a little controversy when it comes to the weight. Nissan recommends 5w-30 but I've heard it's actually better to use 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil...it can lead to better gas mileage and longer engine life. My previous car (2007 Honda Fit) recommended 5w-20 and I know Toyota recommends 0w-20 oil for the Prius. Would it be safe to use 5w-20 or 0w-20 in the Versa? Has anyone tried this? If so, was there any noticable change in gas mileage? Any information would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

alonsorules8
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Sl,HB

IMHO I would stay with what the manufacture specifies. They do extensive testing of there engines before the go into production. I would stay with 5w-30 in either dino oil or synthetic oil.

CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

5w-30

matttail
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

I switched out to syn at the first oil change, seems to me I'm using 5w-20 but I'm not positive. I wouldn't go 0w - stay close to what the manual says.

daggonit
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Sport

I'm going to stick with 5w-30. Upon further investigation I found out the gas savings is very minimal if not undetectible to an individual consumer. Basically it's a tactic used by some car manufacturers to get in under the CAFE regulation. The minimal savings spread across all cars manufactured by a car company will actually show a significant higher number in MPG.

jdm_master_X
Car: 92 Nissan 180SX LHD!...LaWL

what do you think lance? 30 weight? 40 weight?

40 weight sounds nice....

BigMACKenzie
Car: 1993 240sx convertible

Minus -50 DKP for teh Fast and furious reference lol yeah manufacturers suggestion is usually spot on untill you start med to heavy modding on the engine. you got two weights on the oil for a reason, one for easy start up while its cold and one for correct viscosity at high temp. You can go for a thicker base weight in the summer and thinner in the winter if you want but like you said it wont net you too much efficiency in the long run. Just do teh right thing and love your engine with synthetic if you can.

Griema

That's a little misleading. Yes, many tests are done to "market" the best oil grade. The 5w-20 Chrysler (Dodge), Honda, Ford, and Toyota push has more to do with CAFTA than MPG (as noted above). Our engines call for multigrade, the winter or "cold" number is followed by the operating (100 degree celsius) weight after the dash (w is for winter). 5W-30 oil will have a flow equal to single-grade 5 weight oil at -30 degrees celsius and equal to single-grade 30 weight oil at 100 degrees celsius. That is all those numbers mean. Using any dash 20 oil (0w-20 or 5w-20 or 20w) shouldn't be dangerous as normal 30 weight oil sheers to 20 weight during normal operating durations, but once in use over time it can become dangerous faster than "-30" oil. In an engine designed for 30 weight: 20 weight oil will burn-off faster, be more prone to leakage, and not cool the top rings as well as a 30 weight oil. The first number, 5, is to protect the engine in "cold crank". If you do switch to a "-20" oil, be certain to check it's level and thickness often. If it "sludges" on the dipstick, it may have burned off it's detergents and needs replaced immediately. 5w-30 and 0w-30 are the only "safe" pour and forget oils for our engines. Those in warmer climates may find 10w-30 oil to be suitable. This will give better gas mileage during first-run cold operations, but the absolute minimal savings may not be worth the wear. I live in a climate that has teen degrees (F) in the winter and high 90's in the summer, I stick to 5W-30 because going lower than 5 will cause excess wear in the summer and going above will cause excess wear in the winter. It's just cheaper to buy it bulk, so I don't switch the weight between seasons.

Weight is potential viscosity, it does not equate to MPG's. Using a QUALITY oil is the best way to save gas, not to mention repair bills. Mobile 1 Synthetic is easily available to everyone (it's at Wal-Mart) and is a very HIGH quality oil. Amsoil, Royal Purple, and RedLine are others, just to name a few.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

My head hurts

weems84
Car: Versa SL

jdm_master_X wrote:what do you think lance? 30 weight? 40 weight?

40 weight sounds nice....
Awesome!!!!

"Where are the engines!!!!"

Driving Instructor
Car: 2007 nissan versa SL CVT Red

What are you thoughts on oil additives like Slick 50 or Duralube?

My car sounds rough at cold start up. It has 93 K and I religiously change the oil every 6000 kms........5w30.

fjwagner
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S et al

ExxonMobil Advanced Mileage is a 0-30 per their recommendations. A synthetic going into my next oil change.

BigMACKenzie

Griema wrote:That's a little misleading. Yes, many tests are done to "market" the best oil grade. The 5w-20 Chrysler (Dodge), Honda, Ford, and Toyota push has more to do with CAFTA than MPG (as noted above). Our engines call for multigrade, the winter or "cold" number is followed by the operating (100 degree celsius) weight after the dash (w is for winter). Weight is potential viscosity, it does not equate to MPG's. ...Using a QUALITY oil is the best way to save gas, not to mention repair bills. Mobile 1 Synthetic is easily available to everyone (it's at Wal-Mart) and is a very HIGH quality oil. Amsoil, Royal Purple, and RedLine are others, just to name a few.
. FJwagner is totally right, sticking with 5w-30 is best for most ppl that live in this country unless you are in places with extreme heat or cold. I use royal purple synthetic (5w-30) in my car and change it every 2-3k miles because I heart my ka24 and I want to sell it once i swap it out. The only thing you left out is that newer/higher quality oil can def have an effect on your mpg. The newest oil is rated SM or SN by now maybe (look at the little SAE circle on the bottle and you will find a two letter code between SH and SM) this can make a big difference as newer oils with the the letters further along in the alphabet can be 1-2% more efficient than the letter behind them. Not a huge number but remember you car will go 200k plus miles (hopefull) and it adds up. scientists are constantly making better and more efficient oils every year. So no you don't need to buy $18 per quart super oil (in fact if you don't have a heavily modded engine this can hurt, the mega expensive stuff is formulated for high rpm high abuse engines) but you should try and get the best formula you can afford to regularly change your oil with. I personally don't like mobil one bc its the lowest grade synthetic you can buy (its still based on dino blood but is synthetic enough to not be called natural oil) it okay and better than the regular oils but to go up into the true synthetics the price is usually not that much higher and there is def a diff in quality (the fact that you cna pick it up at wally world should be your first clue, best of the bargain basement oils ^^) end rant on oil.

jdm_master_X
Car: 92 Nissan 180SX LHD!...LaWL

weems84 wrote:
Awesome!!!!

"Where are the engines!!!!"
"A couple of SR20s would be a pretty premium for race wars.."

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

There is some pretty decent discussions here compared with the typical oil change thread.

I do my own oil changes and have been using 5w30 Valvoline. The book recommends 5w30, and then says 10w30 is okay also if the temperature is above zero degrees F.

It is summer time now down here in the south, and I am going to use 10w30. Certainly don't need the low 5w protection and I expect the 10w30 to be a little more stable (less prone to high temp breakdown) than the 5w30. I just can't see using a 0w or 5w sitting in traffic in 100 degree heat with the AC running.

BigMACKenzie

good call man.

powergrip
Car: 2008 Versa SL

Sorry for the dumb question but this is my first car. Are you supposed to change the oil ever 5000 or 6000?

BigMACKenzie

I change mine around 3k miles even though thats considered very early by most ppls standards(I use synthetic). If you are using natural oil 3k should be your max, synthetic can go all the way to 10k if your crazy/hate your vehicle. but I think the answer you are looking for is 6k.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

powergrip wrote:Sorry for the dumb question but this is my first car. Are you supposed to change the oil ever 5000 or 6000?
"The book" says every 6,000.

I do around 5,000.

More money? A bit. Piece of mind? Priceless.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

What "book". My manual doesn't say 6k

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

frankohabs wrote:"The book" says every 6,000.

I do around 5,000.

More money? A bit. Piece of mind? Priceless.
I notice you're from Canada. Does your manual (the book?) state 6k Oil change intervals? Just wondered if the manuals are different between Canada sold V's and US V's. My book says 3750 or 7000. Anything inbetween those two numbers would be fine.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”