5th Starter Replacement... Bendix won't disengage

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
christinacschneider
Car: 2005 Infiniti FX 35

Hi All, I'm new to this forum and would love your thoughts on my issue.

In 2015, I had my starter replace. It went out again twice in 2016 but under warranty. In the June 2017, the starter went out AGAIN and I found out it had chewed up my fly wheel. A costly repair even after I asked for them to check the flywheel. So upset. It was making sounds yesterday, so I took it back in today and sure enough the Bendix wasn't disengaging!!

Something has to be burning up the starter????? bad parts??? I'm at a loss.

Help!!

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If the flywheel has damage it can tear up every starter put in the car..........................

EdBwoy

Any idea if the replacement starters are/were OEM infiniti?

christinacschneider
Car: 2005 Infiniti FX 35

Yes, the new starter and new flywheel were both OEM parts. Both installed in June 2017.

It seems so strange that the starter would go out again 3 months later... they are blaming it on a bad part, but I just have a hard time with that considering the history...

EdBwoy

Yes, Christina this seems very odd to me. I'm hoping you at least have the consolation of a warranty in the parts, although warranted labor might be difficult to get.

Is the work being done at an Infiniti dealership? Ask them to buy and install the proper starter bolts as well. And just compare them to what is currently installed. I think an improperly shimmed starter could cause engaging issues.
I mean is this issue sudden or does it creep up on you gradually?

Edit:
Might you have any pictures handy?

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”