5spd shift play?

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
5spdcontained
Car: 1990 240sx SOHC

I have a 95 Altima se with a 5psd fwd. My problem is that when im driving in gear(any gear) when I give it gas or release gas pedal, the stick shift moves on its own. It hasn't ever popped out of gear, but it does have enough play where it worrys me sometimes. Im not sure if its the radius rod bushing that's bad, or the shifter bushing, its hard to tell. MY other problem is that if it is the shifter bushing, I haven't found anyone that sells just the bushing. If anyone has experienced this problem, please let me know what you know. thanks. :gotme

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Well, if it was the shifter bushing, it would just be a wobbly stick, gas or no gas, in gear, in neutral, always wobbly. You could feel that play, as in move the stick any direction and it goes a bit before you feel it moving the gear selector, so you'd likely know by feel if that was the issue.

You can check the bolts of the tranny case and make sure it's mated properly to the engine block. Loose bolts would be bad and allow the tranny to move on it's own, moving your stick around. This could be the result of shade tree mechanics doing a clutch job or something and not torquing the bolts properly.

You can check your motor/ tranny mounts and see if the are so deteriorated that the rocking of the engine during acceleration or braking is what's moving your stick around. Your car is getting up there in years. You might be able to see that type of movement if you pop the hood and gas the engine to see how much twist you're getting and maybe you'll see the shifter linkage moving at the firewall or wherever it goes to your interior. This is my suspicion and I'd start here if it's not the loose play I first describe.

Worst case, the internals are coming loose or wearing out and creating play. I doubt this, but it's not impossible. Here is a link to the Tranny chapter of the FSM for your '95 Altima:
http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... ma/1995/mt

5spdcontained
Car: 1990 240sx SOHC

awesome information. I'll try that tomorrow. I know my engine does shake a little bit giving it gas I can see that she does need new motor mounts from dry rot and minor to moderate tear.. But still safe to drive. A lot of things we're replaced on my car but no proof was given if it was done correctly so I will Start with that. Check all bushing and tranny bolts and do a little trial and error

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”