5AT - Transgo Valve Body Shift Kit - DIY

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

I just installed (with the help of a friend) the Transgo Shift Kit. Installed one on his car (2006 Coupe) and right after installed one on my 2003 Sedan.

I can now say that I have installed both versions of the VB

I'll post up a video soon. I love fast shifts.

For those of you who have a 5AT, this is about 10-20x better than the ground wires. Its really no comparison.

They were on sale at Summit for $230 + shipping. You should go out and get one!!

I might be able to help install as well.

For some pictures of what it is...Most of these pictures are when doing the 2006 VB (TCU inside Tranny) 2003-2004 will look a little different.

Get the tranny oil pan off...this is what you see (20 bolts and 2 clips come off to get the pan off)You'll get about 5 qt out when you drain. Another qt or so is in the pan still.

Keep it all organized. I didnt have enough baggies, but used those for the first couple letters of bolts. Label A - L

Remove the 12 bolts holding the VB in - 5 A, 6 B, and 1 C. There are also 4 clips you need to remove. Depending on what tranny you have (TCU in/out) they are all 4 visible OR 2 of them are on the top of the VB and you have to lower it some to release those.When you remove the last bolt or two holding the VB in, you'll start draining out the torque converter. You'll get another 2 qt or so from there.

VB Out - BottomBottom side of the VB - here you can see the filter. Remove 14 bolts holding filter on. 3-E, 8 -A, 3-DThis pic is the 2003-2004 model

Remove the 6 bolts holding the manual shifter onto the VB. 1-G, 1-F, 2-H, 2-CRemove manual VB and pay attention to where the check ball and springs are.Remove the 14 bolts holding the lower to the upper VB. 8-H, 5-C, 1-A

Remove the 5 bolts holding top to bottom, making sure to remove the bolt labeled A last. 1-A, 2-I, 2-J (J bolts are reinstalled first as alignment bolts during reassembly)

The VB kit is too hard to show the detail of what happens... You change out 3 valves and add check balls and springs on the left side. On the right side you change/add springs in 4 locations.

Valves are hard to remove on the left side. Springs are very hard to keep inside and reinstall the retainers on the right side.

With the 4 drill bits provided you enlargen 7 holes in the seperator plate.

Pay close attention to the location of all check balls and the filters (different amount/locations depending on which VB version it is) during reassembly.

Follow the transgo instructions carefully and make sure you double check everything.

Reassemble opposite of assembly. During assembly I made sure to clean each surface of the VB that was possible to clean.

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

Sweet!

Now go get a higher stall torque converter!

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Nice Job!!!!!!!!! (not going to do it), but NICE JOB!!!!!

tollboothwilley

gwoods wrote:Sweet!

Now go get a higher stall torque converter!
I've been considering it actually...
SVTCOBRA wrote:Nice Job!!!!!!!!! (not going to do it), but NICE JOB!!!!!
feel free to take it off and send it to me... i'll do it for ya

haha

srv2nv

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR....TRANSMISSION MAN!

Seriously, just seeing your pictures scared me from attempting this myself. I've thought about doing this, but I think I'll pay someone to do something this complex.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I did this on my late model Firebird...it wasn't too bad, just have to stay organized!

The job isn't "hard" it's just stressful because you don't want to mess up your tranny. Transgo gives you clear instructions (and a video for my 4L60-E).

terrycs

Nice work!

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

srv2nv wrote:THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR....TRANSMISSION MAN!

Seriously, just seeing your pictures scared me from attempting this myself. I've thought about doing this, but I think I'll pay someone to do something this complex.
Its very easy 2 hour job tops.

When I did a transgo kit on my Hemi Ram I changed the torque convertor at the same time and it was a 6-7 hour job.

tollboothwilley

It was a 7 hour job the first time. the 2nd time was a 5 hour job. the 3rd time was a 4 hour job.

I don't think you can do this in less than 4 hours.

You will most certainly need to have a lot of cardboard and some paper towels around so that you can keep things clean.

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

Maybe there is more to it then on the Hemi Ram? The Hemi kit was only $69 so I'm guessing less parts or something. I know the 45rfe in all the Dakota, Jeep Wagoneers ect is the same transmission as the 545rfe in the Hemi so maybe the R&D was already paid for?

tollboothwilley

Its not that many parts... but there are at least 10 different bolt sizes used that you have to pay attention to. There are 9 or 11 check balls you need to make sure stay in the right place(depending on the VB version you have). Removing the 3 valves is pretty hard with how they are set in there.

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

on the 545 rfe you removed the valve body all the same boltremove the bolts that hold a thin metal plate across the valves all the same bolt

Fish out the springs one by one and put in new springs some with spacersPut on new thin metal plate with a different design to it

Put valve body back in the truck.

superchargedg

Nice write up and pic's.I did this mod over 2 years ago and its still one of my favorite mods.If you are an auto and want to go FI this mod is a must.

tollboothwilley

gwoods wrote:on the 545 rfe you removed the valve body all the same boltremove the bolts that hold a thin metal plate across the valves all the same bolt

Fish out the springs one by one and put in new springs some with spacersPut on new thin metal plate with a different design to it

Put valve body back in the truck.
Ya, with so many different bolt sizes it makes this more difficult for sure. Plus there are 4/5 filters and 8-10 check balls to pay attention to when putting upper-seperator plate-lower all together.

removing the stock valves is one of the hardest parts of this job.
superchargedg wrote:Nice write up and pic's.I did this mod over 2 years ago and its still one of my favorite mods.If you are an auto and want to go FI this mod is a must.
I agree completely. I think its a must for any 5AT who likes to drive hard.

cheapazz
Car: '05 G35 5A/T coupe

Finally did it huh?? Good deal.....I'm gone for so long now I forgot all about it. My kit is still in my office at home. I only put MAYBE 100 miles a month on my car now....still only have 32Ksumthin on the odo. I was wondering if we got the same kit?....mine had an insert that went into the rear of the tranny inside the pan as a restrictor to increase some lines pressure...said to install by gently tapping with a hammer into...I believe...the middle of three holes as you look up into the tranny. I don't have access to see what my part number is...I'm stuck in Tumwater, WA till wed.....head home for a few days then out again for 5 to 6 weeks. Still haven't installed my highflow billet fuel rails yet either......Oh well....gotta pay fer the toys somehow......

O YEA.....HI EVERYBODY!!!!!!

tollboothwilley

Yes, I finally did it.

There is only 1 kit out for the 5 speed JATCO transmission used in NISSAN vehicles with RWD. So, I'm sure its the same kit.

You need to get yours on too. So much quicker. I bet it shaves off .2-.3 in the 1/4 mile. My friend thinks maybe even more. We should find out soon enough.

dharrington10.12.12
Car: 2005 Infinity G35 Coupe

I just completed this shift kit yesterday and do notice an improvement of shift time. I still however am experiencing a lazy shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this?

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”