521 rebuild / dual point distributor question

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
autocorpse

Hello group.... greetings and salutations to all,

I have been helping a friend build an addition on his house out in the woods for the past few years. His grandfathers old 1972 521 has been sitting there in the trees for over ten years, neglected and looking more like a compost pile than a truck. He offered to give me the truck and two weeks later I was up there with my Ford 9N tractor blazing a road into the woods and dragging it up the hill and on to the dove tail trailer to take home.

I pulled all the trim, grill, bumpers, lights, markers, everything off the body, and removed the bed of the truck, descaled the rust on the frame and have rust inhibiting primer and two coats of paint on the frame. Broke loose the brake hubs and replace wheel cylinders and brake shoes, then replaced a clutch master cylinder. The pack rats had chewed alot wire up over the years, they prefer the red wire over anyother it seems. I repaired little sections and ends and parts of the entire wiring harness. Radiator has been cleaned and repaired as well as the gas tank boiled out. I ran some solvent thru the fuel pump and it is okay and the starter is working. The carb has been given as through a cleaning as is possible without complete disassembly. Spark plug wires were chewed thru and also replaced, engine compartment has been painted, the pick up bed has been primered and painted on the underside and rust primer on the inside and hand sanded on outside....that's the status but NOW I want to start it!!

This is where I run out of experience, it seems as if I've got the ignition circut powered, as the coil wire goes hot with the ignition switch and the starter spins, I've got spark at the spark plug wires, gas in the carb, but the carb funtionality unknown. I've only got power to one set of the points and I know the wire from the other set runs to a relay. MY QUESTION is then: when should the other points fire and go hot? are both required for the engine to run at all, do both fire at the same time, what sensor or switch controls the relay? in other words how, why, what, and whens of the dual point distributor system.

The engine has not yet fired... not knowing the status of the carb I've been misting gas over the carb intake trying to get a cylinder to fire but with no success.... your help and comments are appreciated... thank you.l

Autocorpse... (Peter)

sdsurf

Only one set runs at start up. To get more info get on this site as well ratsun.net.

Also, lets see this thing, post some pics!!

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

autocorpse wrote:Hello group.... greetings and salutations to all,

This is where I run out of experience, it seems as if I've got the ignition circut powered, as the coil wire goes hot with the ignition switch and the starter spins, I've got spark at the spark plug wires, gas in the carb, but the carb funtionality unknown. I've only got power to one set of the points and I know the wire from the other set runs to a relay. MY QUESTION is then: when should the other points fire and go hot? are both required for the engine to run at all, do both fire at the same time, what sensor or switch controls the relay? in other words how, why, what, and whens of the dual point distributor system.

The engine has not yet fired... not knowing the status of the carb I've been misting gas over the carb intake trying to get a cylinder to fire but with no success.... your help and comments are appreciated... thank you.l

Autocorpse... (Peter)
Welcome to the forum Peter.

Let me see if I can help you with your points question
autocorpse wrote: MY QUESTION is then:

1. when should the other points fire and go hot?

2. are both required for the engine to run at all,

3. do both fire at the same time,

3. what sensor or switch controls the relay?
1. Your second set of points are the retard points...yes I said retard, laugh and get over it. This one fires once you reach 4th gear.

2. No

3. No

4. Look at your tranny. You will have two switches on one side. One is your reverse lights switch, and one is to activate your retarded points.

I disabled the retarded points on the dual points distributor on my 620 and she ran better IMO. I did this by running the negative coil wire to the advanced points and reset the timing.

Checking your timing marks....

Pull your valve cover and put your motor to TDC. Check the cam sprocket markings. There is a V notch on the sprocket that lines up with a dash mark on the front cam tower. Your #1 and #2 cam lobes will be at 10 & 2. That will let you know your are at TDC for sure and the dash mark on the tower should be slightly advanced compared to the V notch on the cam sprocket.

Also check your crank pulley and make sure it is lined up with the timing indicator at TDC.

Next, you can check your distributor position. You can pull the distributor out if you feel comfortable and make sure the distributor shaft is at the 11:28 position when the motor is at TDC.

I think you may have a timing issue...but I need more info. Check this first and get back.

Aaron

autocorpse

thanks aaron, I appreciate the responses...

I found that the wire to the primary set of points was not making good connection and replaced the fitting.. now I have hot spark and after replacing the condenser I got it to fire off by misting gas over the carb.... not sure the carb is functional yet, but she wants to run... I 'll keep you informed, do pictures still have to be posted somewere on the net and linked or can you upload images??

thanks, autocorpse..

Peter

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

autocorpse wrote:thanks aaron, I appreciate the responses...

I found that the wire to the primary set of points was not making good connection and replaced the fitting.. now I have hot spark and after replacing the condenser I got it to fire off by misting gas over the carb.... not sure the carb is functional yet, but she wants to run... I 'll keep you informed, do pictures still have to be posted somewere on the net and linked or can you upload images??

thanks, autocorpse..

Peter
Good to hear! I look forward to your progress.

You will need to upload pics to an image host. I always use http://www.tinypic.com .

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”