510 w/KA24DE won't start.

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
KAestate
Car: 1971 Datsun 510 Estate

I am just about done with the KA24DE into my '71 510 Estate and I ran into a problem. The starter engages, I have power everywhere that I can tell I need it and it just turns over and never starts or even sounds like it wants to. I have fuel as far as the hardline leading to the fuel rail and I have spark on all four cylinders and we checked the spark plug wire positions. I know the injectors are getting power and signal to each one.

What I DON'T know is which hardline on the intake manifold is the fuel feed line and which is the return. I've tried both and originally had the feed line going to the hardline that goes to the fuel rail and return line coming from the fuel pressure regulator. Neither showed any difference. In either position when I disconnected the return line little or no fuel came out.

The ECU does not show any malfunctions but I would bet that I wired something up wrong even though I followed the foldout to the best of my ability (some differences in '91 KA harness and I had the '93 KA foldout).

Any suggestions are appreciated as I cannot proceed until this is resolved. I am willing to try anything but my budget is the first obstacle.

continental_drift
Car: 1991 240sx coupe - in progress - zeal function V6, ssr formula reverse, trust SP. more to come.

maybe check the ground wire for your fuel pump?

KAestate

KAestate wrote: I have fuel as far as the hardline leading to the fuel rail and I have spark on all four cylinders and we checked the spark plug wire positions.
The pump works just fine. I have fuel getting to at least the fuel rail under a lot of pressure, how much pressure exactly, I don't know.

continental_drift
Car: 1991 240sx coupe - in progress - zeal function V6, ssr formula reverse, trust SP. more to come.

well this is just a shot in the dark, but if it's a 5 speed ecu maybe theswitch on the clutch pedal is bad. when you push the pedal in to fireit up, it doesn't get the signal and won't let it start. unless you alreadybypassed that.

I dunno man, just trying to help since noone really posts in this forum.

KAestate

It is a 5-speed tranny but the way the wiring was setup in the 510 before the swap I never needed to push the clutch in to start, no matter what gear it was in. It was advantageous several times. As for the sensor we never hooked it up but I think that would kill the ignition signal if it was that. The starter is engaging and doing its job just fine, Ihave fuel making it to the chamber and the spark plugs are all getting the right signal with the right timing. Whatever it is I'm probably going to kick myself whenever I find it.

KAestate

Yeah i was right, I feel stupid. I had to have the neutral position switch wire from the ECU grounded. Even though my 510 never had to be in neutral to start it (previous owner removed the switch or something) I just bypassed the neutral position switch (there is one on the KA tranny but don't need it) and grounded the return wire and voila. Then it was on to perfecting the timing.

continental_drift

well, atleast I got you thinking in the right direction.

congrats, let me know how it works out.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”