510 restoration

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
Akitaman

First off I would like to introduce myself. I own a european restoration shop in Tacoma Washington and I am more then capable of building a car to a high level. With that said, When I was in my teens I was deep into VW's (air-cooled). A few friends left that scene and bought 510's. "Man what a rig"! I always thought back then. Here we are years later and I'm still wanting one. With that said, I am looking for an early 510 two door. I really don't care if it has a motor and trans. but a solid chassis to start with is high priority. Distance is not much of an issue either for the right car. With that said, what are some of the things to look for? Are their year models that are better then others? Is their hidden issues to look for?

thanks for any insight.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

The biggest issue with any classic Datsun is the RUST. Especially since you're not picky about if it has a motor / trans. Are you wanting to restore one back to original condition or modify it for more power? We've had two 510s, still have the '68. We were lucky, both of ours were pretty straight. If you're going to look for an early car, try to get it as complete as you possibly can, especially the glass. Even if it's dirty / nasty. If you have all the pieces, all you have to worry about is the clean-up. Most replacements parts are pricey. They're not as expensive as parts for a Z but they're getting there. I would suggest you start looking in AZ. Southern CA can be a crap shoot. You could find one with minimal rust but it's suspension could be beat to death because of the horrible road conditions on SoCal freeways. If future resale value is a concern, get the earliest year you can get. The newer 510s aren't as desirable.

Akitaman

Thats good info thanks! I seam to keep finding 1970 model in the two door. When I do find this car. I will share the build on this site. My men are very skilled metal fab'ers. So we can fix any metal issue. I mean any metal issue. But I did not know glass and other bits were that hard to find. So good info on that too. Thanks. I want to run duel carbs, but noticed lots of people are running 240 sx?

z chopper

you mean an engine and trans from a 240sx, like a KA24e or KA24de?

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

It's hard to find a 2 door pre-1970. They exist but they were rare.

The 510s were very versatile and easily modified. Lots of power plants have been dropped in a Dime with little modification. We have a built L20 and dual Weber DCOEs.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Keep an eye on Craigslist here in AZ, as well as NM. Good, rust-free examples pop up from time to time.

Akitaman

Update! Okay I traveled far and wide. To many people think WAY TO HIGHLY of 510's that have lived harsh lives, real poor condition or even worst good cars with bad mods. Im in the restoration biz and honestly we are guess speakers at conventions and club events on this very subject..... Just on Italian cars not Japanese. Anyway, the wow factor was nothing short of stunning. I get it that lots of these great little cars have fallen in to the hands of ........ well lets just say the "unskilled youth". And some have been saved by young guys and gals that did incredible things to complete their vision. I met a young lady that did all the work herself and absolutely rocked that 510! I offered her a job she did so well with her car. Anyway, I found a killer 510 local. Worked a deal, and will be picking it up soon. My engine builder has socked away a N.O.S. SSS motor he has been sitting on for 25 years. And we will be using that! The car car is a 71 two door and a lot of really good work was already done to the car. Meaning all rubber was changed, complete suspension refresh too.

What is the ideal diff for a 510 with a 1.8 SSS motor and a 5 speed trans?

Does a 510 respond well with camber on the rear or is it a bit twitchy?

Who makes the best "drop in" no mod needed header?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Akitaman wrote:Update! Okay I traveled far and wide. To many people think WAY TO HIGHLY of 510's that have lived harsh lives, real poor condition or even worst good cars with bad mods. Im in the restoration biz and honestly we are guess speakers at conventions and club events on this very subject..... Just on Italian cars not Japanese. Anyway, the wow factor was nothing short of stunning. I get it that lots of these great little cars have fallen in to the hands of ........ well lets just say the "unskilled youth". And some have been saved by young guys and gals that did incredible things to complete their vision. I met a young lady that did all the work herself and absolutely rocked that 510! I offered her a job she did so well with her car. Anyway, I found a killer 510 local. Worked a deal, and will be picking it up soon. My engine builder has socked away a N.O.S. SSS motor he has been sitting on for 25 years. And we will be using that! The car car is a 71 two door and a lot of really good work was already done to the car. Meaning all rubber was changed, complete suspension refresh too.

What is the ideal diff for a 510 with a 1.8 SSS motor and a 5 speed trans?

Does a 510 respond well with camber on the rear or is it a bit twitchy?

Who makes the best "drop in" no mod needed header?
Awesome news!

I'll address the 3 questions, since I'm a Datsun collector / restorer...

In my 510, I run a 3.90 R-160 LSD. Not cheap, but they're out there. Same diff as Subaru (Nissan and Subie use the Fuji Heavy Industries diffs). Look for a close-ratio 5-speed for more enjoyment.

There's an ideal range of camber - always a happy medium. Depends on other factors, such as drop, tire / wheel setup, and type of suspension (coilovers or shocks/springs).

There's not really a GOOD "drop-in" header... Headers for Datsuns (and most cars, in fact) are usually more hassle than they're worth. Cracks, leaks, and bad design conspire to make it NOT worth the hassle. The SSS exhaust manifold is pretty well-designed, and it won't crack or leak. The minute HP gains you might get from a header aren't worth the PITA of pulling the motor to deal with repairs / leaks. Have the stock manifold runners cleaned up, have it Jet-Hot coated, and enjoy trouble-free (and quieter) motoring.

Probably not what you wanted to hear,but lots of experience (and lots of mistakes) over the years. Get her put together, and you can address those issues as the project progresses.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”