510 Engine Options... what do you think?

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
MicroMachinery

Alright. So I'm going through my 71 510, prepping the body for paint. The interior's nice, and right now I'm pondering on what do do about the heartbeat that's gonna drive this puppy. I'd like a good daily, so I'm not necessarily looking for something that's gonna be runnin' 7000rpms for long periods of time. Something that I can take on cruises, but also have the possibility of autocrossing. I know that you have to make sacrifices when it comes to driveability as opposed to performance... I'd like to find a good medium, I guess I should say.

For now, I'm keepin' it old school, with an L-series. I've run into a dilemma though.. I can't decide what engine I want. It's gonna be a 16, 18, or 20.Right now, I have the L20B pushing, but I'm starting to wonder if I should put together a hot 16, or 18. I have all 3, but to make a 1.6, I'll have to tear one of my cores down and rebuild it. I have a 1.8 sitting in the corner of my shop that's got about 10k miles, which stares me down every time I walk past it. However, the 2.0 that is in it right now just feels nice when I stomp on the pedal. Rough decision.

From what I know, the L20 is pretty much stock. I have an A87 head which could easily be converted to a SSS, which would be nice for breathability. To go with that, a set of dual mikunis(44phh, I believe), but I'm not sure if that's gonna be too much carb for me. If I use this engine, for now I'll leave the bottom end pretty much where it's at. The head/carbs and the cam would be all I'd be replacing.

If I use the L18, there'd be no reason to modify anything on it. It'd be a drop in. The only decision there would be on carb.

If I go the L16 route, this would be the most involved. I'd research and try to build this thing as hot as I could for the beer-budget I'm working with right now(A87/SSS head, 240z flat top pistons, cam, and SU carbs if I can find em). This would be the most expensive route.

I know this is alot to read, but if you weren't wanting to read, you'd have gotten yourself a coloring book. What do you guys think? I'd like to have it done by mid-June(Canby Datsun Meet).

Suggestions?

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Dude! L20b all the way.

I had the L16 all hopped up with a cam and tuned Weber. Then went to the L20b and I would NEVER go back.

The 44s would breath better on an L20b....so yeah. That is my 2 pennies.

I will be at the Canby meet again this year...so look for my truck.

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

I'd go with the L20

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

L20 all the way!

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”