5 Speed transmission swap

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Adamsgotfive
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Hey guys,

Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not it would be possible to put a 5 speed manual transmission from the qashqai in the rogue without too much custom work?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

I've never understood why people think doing what is essentially a heart transplant, can be done "without too much custom work."

Transmission mate up to engines through the bell housing / block & lower oil pan. That has to match.
The transmission control module will need to be replaced & programmed.
The engine control module will need to be replaced & reprogrammed.
The center console will need to be replaced.
Plugs, wiring, harnesses will need to be replaced to accept any new plugs.
Any transmission mounts will need to be installed/modified to fit.
Etc, etc, etc.

You're better off finding an engine & transmission together from Europe and sending it here. This way they will be mated and ready to go (don't forget: ecm, tcm, shifter, cables, center console, cooler lines, radiator, etc.).

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

Unless your Rogue has some sort of sentimental value, there is little reason to swap in a manual transmission to it. You have other choices in the CUV market that do come with a manual transmission, so if that's what you want sell your Rogue and purchase one of those.

I would be confident in stating that to convert your 2008 Rogue into a manual transmission vehicle, you would well exceed the value of the vehicle in completing the swap because you will require a full donor vehicle (unless you want to custom make things like interior pieces, etc.). It was much easier to do when cars where simpler in design, but with the Rogue I think it would require a lot of work.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Kinda sad actually the rouge could be so much fun with a 5 or 6 speed manual. I think some of the jukes have them. You actually get to be a "driver" with a manual transmission, instead of just a "steering wheel holder"

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

Rogue Jarhead wrote:Kinda sad actually the rouge could be so much fun with a 5 or 6 speed manual. I think some of the jukes have them. You actually get to be a "driver" with a manual transmission, instead of just a "steering wheel holder"
Yes, the Juke may be a great alternative if you want a manual transmission vehicle. It's also turbo charged from the factory, and while I have not looked up mod's for it, having a turbo charger usually means there are a higher number of reasonably priced mods available.

Remember what the Rogue is - it's not meant to be a performance vehicle. It is meant to get your family from point a to point b. Having a manual would not appeal to the target market, and in my opinion, would hardly make it fun (it's missing too much else). If you want a fun SUV get yourself a Cherokee SRT8 that is meant for being a performance vehicle. Or if you are on a budget, an old GMC Typhoon.

Drewu2233
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SV

I have a 2013 Rogue SV with 74xxx miles, and the CVT is starting to give me fits. I was curious if there was anyone who has tried to swap in like a 5 or 6 speed manual, as well as retaining AWD. My hopes aren't very high but I was really interested in swapping in a manual transmission.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Drewu2233 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:51 pm
I have a 2013 Rogue SV with 74xxx miles, and the CVT is starting to give me fits. I was curious if there was anyone who has tried to swap in like a 5 or 6 speed manual, as well as retaining AWD. My hopes aren't very high but I was really interested in swapping in a manual transmission.
Merged with existing thread. Please read the previous posts.

Return to “Rogue Forum”