5 lug conversion/300z brake swap

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
mojo22
Car: a lot of stuff

first of all let me say hello to everyone. i am new to 240's, but not new to nissans and definately not to cars. i have some major mods under my belt to many cars, so i have learned the value of a good BB with knowledgeable users. i have been looking around for the past few weeks at the different boards and i think this one is the best for me. so, on to the questions.

p.s. i DID do a search on this subject, i was just hoping for to get a few questions answered and hopefully get all the info in one place.

i just picked up a 1989 240 sx and plan to do what everyone and their momma plans to do. SR20DET swap, LSD...blah blah blah, but first my goal is to get it driving straight, stopping hard, and cornering well.

300ZX BRAKE and FIVE LUG CONVERSION

i have read that you must replace the following.

1. spindles (front and rear) 2. hubs3. A-arms (front)4. rotors5. calipers6. brake lines

can those who have done the swap please chime in on

1. how you did it?2. exactly what parts were used?3. what would you differently?4. how much did you spend?

i hope to put together a complete HOW TO on the swap with pictures from my digital camera. as of yet, i have not found one...and i figuire we need it.

mojo22

there is a 1990 300zx sitting in a junkyard about 10 miles from my house, suspension and rear end are still in it. plus, i like to do stuff on the cheap anyway. i saw PDM's stuff, i will buy the lines aftermarket, but the swap i will do from junkyard stuff. i want a five lug swap so i can have more options for wheels, and so i don't have to special order rotors pre drilled or get them drilled to mount them on a 4 lug. we have several sets of five lug rims sitting right now, so i'd love to see if i can maybe make them work.

i know how to measure for backspacing well enough that i think i can make something work as far as a good wheel with wider tread. have seen guys getting at least a 245 out back, i want at least that. i will trim fenders if i have to....but seeing as how i haven't put more than 20 miles on the car, i have no clue about that right now. i picked it up, and took it straight to the body shop to get things started in the looks department.....i am not a big fan of the dent mods its got, so i am getting them removed.

poorly documented swap? you mean, a couple of pictures? i saw that, and i read the faq. i was just hoping we could get all the info in one place.

thank you.

1991240xs

if you get junkyard calipers...take their advice and rebuild them...otherwise you could have some problems....while you're at it..paint them red and paint the letter silver..or sand them down to silver...would look so sweet...

mojo22

don't worry about the rebuild, everything that goes on the car will be refurbished, repainted....and whatever it needs. i will bead blast the calipers and either paint them or maybe even polish them if they are aluminum. the Eastwood Co. has some good clears for polished parts. i might even use it as a good excuse to try out the new home powder coating stuff that they have. also, all parts will be cleaned and painted. the car is going to be steam cleaned and repainted or undercoated underneath. i HATE working on stuff that is dirty, so that is a priority for me, having everything clean and good looking......when you see the pics, you will understand.

mojo22

i take that back.....polishing the calipers will reduce the surface area.....which will reduce heat dissapation......soooooo, i dunno, it would look cool, but how smart would it be?.....well, they are only brakes, and looking good does matter more than function, or so i heard

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”