5.0 swap into s13?

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
arabdrifter
Car: 89' s13 coupe

well i figured id make another thread. how about the 5.0 swap from a fox body stang into an s13? is this motor called a 302 or is 5.0 completely different? sorry about my lack of knowledge, but domestic motors have really caught my eye an would like all info without the flamming. if you have something to say and make it informative then by all means post away otherwise just be courteous to other people. we re all hear to learn. anyhow back to my question, has anyone attempted this swap yet and what is all needed to do this? myself and a couple of my buddies who each have built 10sec stangs are very anxious to help me out with this swap. also would like to hear all input from experienced peeps with this swap.

WD, you have great wisdom on domestic motors, whats your opinion on this?. can you give me any tips?

thanks guys appreciate all help/info/input given. shall be starting this within the next month or so when i have decent funds and a good running dd car.

maik21
Car: 240sx Coupe 5.0 90

if u want to get much room for radiator and cooling fans, get accesories and timming cover, water pump, alternator, etc from 96-97 explorer . u see my swap so u know i have much room in engine bay. maybe u need to watch my older 302 setup engine bay room.

hardest part of 5.0 swap on s13 its custom oil pan, so dont worry, its easy !

arabdrifter

sweet..thanks bud is there anything else i need to know for the wiring job? how bout the tranny setup/using stock 240 rearend(open diff)? also was wondering what i needed for the dirveshaft?..< im guessing the rear half of the stock 240 shaft and customized with the front half of the 5.0 one...if you could provide length size and all info for the shaft. i greatly appreciate all the input and info. ive checked all your videos and old build..but im a recheck them for more reference.

im gonna make this my official build thread. so stay tuned within the next few weeks once i figure a dd car and some funds...

arabdrifter

ok so here's what im starting with. a fairly clean 1993 s13 coupe. i want to paint is pepper green(like the stang in the movie, GONE in 60secs). for rims/tire package im prolly gonna go for a deep dish staggered look(BBS's, motegie's, sportmax xxr's), wrapped with toyo R1's. ok onto the pics now;

maik21

arabdrifter wrote: how bout the tranny setup/using stock 240 rearend(open diff)? ...
stock rearend its good.... i read they are rated at 400lb of torque. maybe u can switch to some lsd or weld it.
arabdrifter wrote:also was wondering what i needed for the dirveshaft?..< im guessing the rear half of the stock 240 shaft and customized with the front half of the 5.0 one...
u can use a single one from a grand marquis or some ford setup. u will need the piece that fits on your tranny and then weld the other side to the piece on the rear end.
arabdrifter wrote:if you could provide length size and all info for the shaft....
because there is no kit for swap, u will need to mount engine and tranny first and then take lenght size for proper fitment. dont worry, try to do one step at once.

arabdrifter

maik21 wrote: 1-stock rearend its good.... i read they are rated at 400lb of torque. maybe u can switch to some lsd or weld it.

2-u can use a single one from a grand marquis or some ford setup. u will need the piece that fits on your tranny and then weld the other side to the piece on the rear end.

3-because there is no kit for swap, u will need to mount engine and tranny first and then take lenght size for proper fitment. dont worry, try to do one step at once.
1- coo..might do the 9" rear..we ll see how the 240 one will do. i have a kazz 2way lsd, should be okay

2-i was wondering which year marquis?

3- for sure was gonna test fit everything to make sure it has good positioning. from there was gonna measure for the shaft. just cant wait to have all my parts and tools for the build. i will deff be taking my time, but not too long as i want to have it finished up by the start of summer. thanks for the info bud..keep it comming
Modified by arabdrifter at 10:01 PM 5/20/2009

maik21

arabdrifter wrote:2-i was wondering which year marquis?
a drive shaft longer than the space between rear end and tranny output because u will need to cut and paste and driveshaft will be in 1 piece.

in my swap, tranny output its under the stock shift knob.

if u go to junkyard, take the longest marquis or crownvictoria driveshaft that fits on your tranny output.

Return to “Hybrids”