400 whp Stock block Redtop - GT2871r .64 power!

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
codyace
Car: S14 w/redtop

Not everyone visits F/A, so I decided to also post this on here.

This will hopefully put to rest the myth that 2871 .64 turbos can't reach this power....as well as show you how this turbo outshines the larger .86 in all aspects.

Simple mods that work with each other will always put down the best power. I got tired of seeing so many poorly constructed setups putting down 340 whp and 290 ft lbs at the same 19-20 psi, so I decided to build mine correctly from the get go.So for a basic mod list,

Stock bottom endJWT ECUJWT S3 CamsJWT Clutch+Flyhweel (Z33)Mototron 60lb injectorsCobra MAFStock Ex. Manifold (Extrude honed/Swained)GT2871r .64 turbo (Extrude honed)Greddy IMGreddy o2 housing to a RSR ExMag Full 3" turbo back....

The ROM tune is the only one in the country for the 60lb top feed injectors. I didn't feal like the 72lbers were the option I wanted to take (old design, and overkill) so I used these babies. I will be datalogging a run in the near future to send back to Clark for a re tune, and a alcohol injection map for track days (can never be to save, and Aquamist is much cheaper than race gas)

Hope you guys enjoy
Modified by codyace at 11:14 AM 4/14/2008

deCksy

very nice #s i cant wait to get my project started

FusionR300zx
Car: 1993 300zx/1997 240sx

i'm copying youu!! na na na boo boo!! haahh

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

i wonder just how much you gained with the extrude honed exhaust mani...id be interested to see what a full race or similar would do for you compared to that

awesome job

DrifterProdigy85
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx (Zenki Onevia)

extrude honing the manifold and turbo housing helps alot in the exhaust flow. ever feel the inside of the stock manifold? its rough as hell. with honing the turbo housing its actually flowing more than the normal .64 does. i love the power the car puts out but i wouldnt quite compare it to a normal 2871R .64 turbo. Probably more comparable to a 2871R .63 T3 housing but never actually seen a dyno of one of those yet. Congrats on the numbers. I probably congrated you on FA as well.

nismofly

i know its rough, i was just thinking could that increase flow of the stock mani anywhere near as much as something as extensive as the full race does

i bet the turbo extrude hone has a big part in those numbers, thats something to keep in mind

sr20-thoj
Car: 89 nissan 240sx coupe

cool setup.. i actually thought that the cobra maf max out at 350hp.. wow very interesting.. i have one laying around somewhere.. maby i should give that a thought.. happen to know where i can find the pigtail for the maf? part # on it??

2_Liter_Turbo
Car: _________________
'96 S14 Coupe: SR20VET
'90 R32 TH1 GTR: RB26DETT
'92 S13 Fastback: SR20DET
'11 V36 Sedan: VQ25HR
'06 GMT800 2500HD: LBZ Duramax

That's pretty sweet man. Only question is, if the .64 can do that, shouldn't the .86 be albe to produce even more power in the top end with a correct build? I know you sacrafice a little boost response, but still....

nwmrkt
Car: S13

sick numbers.What rpm does full boost come in?

nismofly

ElNegro wrote:That's pretty sweet man. Only question is, if the .64 can do that, shouldn't the .86 be albe to produce even more power in the top end with a correct build? I know you sacrafice a little boost response, but still....
the 86 actually loses a substantial amount of response from what ive seen, and doesnt produce enough power to make up for it

i think pretty much everybody agrees that the 64 is better for this power range, which is plenty enough for an S chassis

DrifterProdigy85

Ive owned both and ran both with the same setups in the 1/4. .86 trapped 2mph higher than the .64 just from a housing swap. You really have to modify your powerband to really make a difference though. Like 264/272 or 272/272 cams, greddy intake manifold, and turbo manifold will help alot with the .86's top end power. Bumping the rev limiter to 8k or 8500 will help a bit too. Ive got mine set at 7500 and it feels like its pulling harder and harder as it gets closer to the limiter. It makes me hate to shift since theres more to go. Good response for drag racing but sucks to drift with. You can feel torque below 5krpm but power really kicks in hard at 5krpm. Reaching full boost 4500rpm. You really want to talk about power difference. Last i went to the track i trapped 117mph @ 16psi with boost leaking. Havnt seen a .64 do that. Dont down the .86, its all in what you use it for.

nzmoman
Car: 240sx 2 of em' and always lookin for more

this post makes me smile....

there are not too many real tuners on here anymore. and I am proud to see that you represent the last of them well!!!

thomasjamal
Car: 93 coupe

Don't listen to him, he doesn't even have a 240 anymore.

That's right.

codyace

thomasjamal wrote:Don't listen to him, he doesn't even have a 240 anymore.

That's right.
Me??? Mine's warming up right now so I can goto work. Northeast is crazy cold today!

codyace

nismofly wrote:i wonder just how much you gained with the extrude honed exhaust mani...id be interested to see what a full race or similar would do for you compared to that

awesome job
I too am interested. The stock cast iron manifold (especially with the swain coating) is really going to keep heat in that manifold, helping boost response big time...remember the ideal gas law? That alone is what makes this baby run so well.

FWIW Something is in the works to test the two (mine and an extrude honed setup)...we'll leave it at that :D

codyace

DrifterProdigy85 wrote: Last i went to the track i trapped 117mph @ 16psi with boost leaking. Havnt seen a .64 do that. Dont down the .86, its all in what you use it for.
I trapped 115 when I went, but I had a HUGE vacuum leak (as in, all those round rubber injector gromots in the intake were pushing up around the Mototron Injectors. I would assume I had approximatly 300-315 whp when I went. I was running 18 psi at the time. (13.1 @ 115 with a 3 second 60'....garbage!!!)

Drag racing IMO is an area where the larger, slightly laggier turbo would shine. It lets you get out of the hole without SO much tire spin, and has the 2nd half pull to give decent times....I just prefer the .64 housing on the roadcourse, and on the street.

thomasjamal

No, I meant him:
nzmoman wrote:this post makes me smile....

there are not too many real tuners on here anymore. and I am proud to see that you represent the last of them well!!!
I'm just giving him crap for selling his sr car. Never mind that he's about to buy 2 more 240s...

Those are incredible #s by the way. Excellent job and excellent point about mods working together...

codyace

sr20-thoj wrote:cool setup.. i actually thought that the cobra maf max out at 350hp.. wow very interesting.. i have one laying around somewhere.. maby i should give that a thought.. happen to know where i can find the pigtail for the maf? part # on it??
Check the Wolf website, it's there. You can order it from the local dealer too.

codyace

nwmrkt wrote:sick numbers.What rpm does full boost come in?
On the dyno, around 4000/4100 (no load)

On the street, around 3500-3700 (as there is load)

I've been in a disco potato s13, and it was ALMOST to responsive (similar build as mine)...it had 20 psi at 3300/3500 range and really blistered the tires, but it didn't have NEAR the top end this turbo does, makng the .64 faster overall (considerably)

codyace

nismofly wrote:the 86 actually loses a substantial amount of response from what ive seen, and doesnt produce enough power to make up for it
My thoughts as well. I'll take 20-30 ft lbs of trq sooner, than have 20 more peak hp any day of the week.
nismofly wrote: i think pretty much everybody agrees that the 64 is better for this power range, which is plenty enough for an S chassis
Honestly, 400 whp on the street in our cars is a HANDFULL. I normally don't even run that boost setting unless it's nice out, and I know the roads are somewhat warm. I typically run my 15 psi setting if Im' late for class, and just turn the Profec off when I'm daily driving.

codyace

thomasjamal wrote:Those are incredible #s by the way. Excellent job and excellent point about mods working together...
Thanks! It's the truth though. There are to many builds on there with huge step II cams, stock intake manifold and mismatched turbo...it almost makes me sick that people are buying these parts without researching them one bit. I spent nearly 2 months researching the dynamics of my setup (comparing dynos, looking at compressor maps, evaluating total build ups...) until I decided on mine. I knew I would be roadracing it more than drag racing it, so I built it that way....and just by nature of the setup, the car is an animal all around...

nzmoman
Car: 240sx 2 of em' and always lookin for more

thomasjamal wrote:Don't listen to him, he doesn't even have a 240 anymore.

That's right.
Hey arent you that guy who has those cheap a$$ rims and the 240 coupe that keeps fallin' apart. Did you ever buy nuts and bolts for that motor or are you still trying to run it while its bound in duck tape... By the way....I told you before your car is not front wheel drive and putting Honda, and type R badges on it aint gonna change that...and where do you put the key go on your trunk anyway...oh thats right you replaced it with a GT-R badge...RICER

karmakaze
Car: 98 240sx SE

that turbo is not a .64 anymore btw.

nice work though. great numbers!

but the .86 is not as bad of a turbo as this thread makes it out to be. i have it, its great, and i would not switch it out if i had the chance.

i have staggered 256/264 step 1 cams, greddy plenum, 70mm throttle body, helix exhaust mani with a Hot Jet coating.

i also have the s14 notchtop and i have retained VTC which help down low. especially with my 4.36 ratio vlsd.

Modified by karmakaze at 10:25 PM 12/9/2006

thomasjamal

nzmoman wrote:Hey arent you that guy who has those cheap a$$ rims and the 240 coupe that keeps fallin' apart. Did you ever buy nuts and bolts for that motor or are you still trying to run it while its bound in duck tape... By the way....I told you before your car is not front wheel drive and putting Honda, and type R badges on it aint gonna change that...and where do you put the key go on your trunk anyway...oh thats right you replaced it with a GT-R badge...RICER
I think you are mistaking me for the guy that I bought this car from. He's the one that put a GT-R badge on it; I'm the one that took it off. I'd rather let people see my jacked up trunk than have a GT-R bagde on my 240. As for you, I think you should quit destracting from the accomplishments of codyace with your ranting...

codyace

karmakaze wrote:that turbo is not a .64 anymore btw.
I know this may be true, however I beleive it's not much different if that. The extrude hone process on the turbines don't remove as much material as one would think...more or less smoothing it out.

http://www.e-rak.com/cody/gallery/album188

DrifterProdigy85

codyace wrote:
I trapped 115 when I went, but I had a HUGE vacuum leak (as in, all those round rubber injector gromots in the intake were pushing up around the Mototron Injectors. I would assume I had approximatly 300-315 whp when I went. I was running 18 psi at the time. (13.1 @ 115 with a 3 second 60'....garbage!!!)

Drag racing IMO is an area where the larger, slightly laggier turbo would shine. It lets you get out of the hole without SO much tire spin, and has the 2nd half pull to give decent times....I just prefer the .64 housing on the roadcourse, and on the street.
Trap speeds are directly related to the powermade to the ground. Trapping 115mph is the same as 330whp in an S13. Thats what my friends S13 ran with his 2871R .64 at that power on 235/45-15 tires. He ran a 12.5 @ 115mph w/ 1.9 60ft. I also dynoed mine a while back at 315whp and ran 113mph traps all day long. When the tracks open back up, im curious what your traps will be. Should be in the 120-122mph area, otherwise the dyno is reading high.

itsnever2fast
Car: 1990 S13 HATCH SR20DET REDTOP

codyace

DrifterProdigy85 wrote:When the tracks open back up, im curious what your traps will be. Should be in the 120-122mph area, otherwise the dyno is reading high.
I actually had tried to go the past 3 weeks at ATCO, but had so much other **** going on in life that I couldn't!

I'm also hoping for similar trap speeds....I just wish I was a better driver, to get the ET's to back it up too. Used slicks are a MUST purchase this winter/spring.

As far as the dyno, it's regarded as being the most accurate and middle reading ones in the general 100 mile radius. I too thought my dyno was high at first, but when compared to the many other cars (both n/a, turbo) it reads darn near dead on to what it should.

harlesjohn
Car: 4X4 JEEP

how much money does that take to make that 400whp? thanks

DrifterProdigy85

I only bring up the dyno reading being off because i see guys saying they have 400whp but trap 115mph in the 1/4. Doesnt make sense IMO. Most of these high dynos and low traps have been from cars on dynapacks and not dynojets which can explain it too. I believe your making the power you do. I have the same problem were ET isnt up to par with the Trap Speeds. Running on stock tires, i cant seem to cut lower than a 2.2 60ft. That was back when i trapped 113mph. At 117mph i cant get lower than a 2.3 or 2.4. Where abouts is Stroudsburg, PA? Im a little below York, PA.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”