4 Wheel Steer Problems on the M37S

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Panzer Leader
Car: 2012 M37S; Formerly owned a 1994 Infiniti J30t and 93.5 G-20.

Is anyone having problems with their AWS and Vehicle Dynamic Stability Control systems on the M37S? My car is now in the shop for the 3rd time in 6 weeks for these dash lights coming on..... Every time I am told that it is fixed..... Last time they replaced an actuator per Infiniti.... I have contacted Infiniti Customer Care..... I am a previous owner of a 1994 J30t with the Super HCAS steering over 200,000 miles and no problem.... Current car is a 2012 with 38K miles..... Car bought as a Certified Pre Owned Infiniti..... with 30K miles..... Please let me know if you have had same problem and what was the fix..... Thanks..... :frown: :wtf2:

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

I had the 4WAS light come on twice so far. Both times it reset by restarting the car and no code was stored. I am a bit nervous about this feature that may cost a lot to fix if not on warranty. Hope you get yours sorted out.

Panzer Leader
Car: 2012 M37S; Formerly owned a 1994 Infiniti J30t and 93.5 G-20.

Got the car back today...... They had to replace a relay.... More details to follow..... So far, so good... Will know better tomorrow.

coolchuck
Car: 11 M37s, 04 E55

No issues with mine and I'm at 43k miles. I hope they worked it out for you.

tfs1975
Car: 1991 300zx Twin Turbo
2012 M37 Sport

Can you please tell me exactly what relay was replaced? I am having the same issue and Infiniti is unable to determine what the actual cause is. I have been told to change out the actuator, which was done and then was told to change a control box, which was also done. Problem still exists. Seems like a relay to me since voltage seems to drop off when lights come on. Both 4was and Stability control lights come on at the same time. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Looking at the wiring diagram I only see one relay; the 4WAS Rear Motor Relay.

#7 in box E, left rear of the vehicle

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

Never had this issue with my 2011M37S, glad you got it fixed man. keep us posted

tfs1975
2012 M37 Sport

Appreciate the diagram. Supposedly the service guy replaced that relay when he was trying to determine the issue. Said it wasn't brand new but was a known working one in his tool box. I could switch it out and keep my fingers crossed. Where can I get the part number for that relay? Appreciate your help.

tfs1975
2012 M37 Sport

Update: Just called the local Infiniti stealership to try and get a part number and a price. Of course he said that his manual doesn't show that relay and he tried to get me to purchase the main control unit (#6 above) which I've already replaced. He said that the relay is not listed. Told him that I am looking at it in the FSM now and gave him all the info. He said he was going to have to do some research and get back to me. If anyone is aware of this part number, please let me know. Thank you

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

If you can locate the relay you can probably read the part number right off of it.

I'll look around and see if I can find it listed online somewhere.

tfs1975
2012 M37 Sport

Update: I have gotten the part number for that relay. Original part number for that relay is 25230-79915. That relay is no longer available and has been replaced by Nissan with relay part number 25230-79917. I have ordered, received and replaced the relay and the issue still occurs. There must be a short somewhere or a possible ground issue. Not sure what the next step is or what can be done. No one seems to have come across this issue and Infiniti, as well as two mechanics have been unable to determine the cause. slightly disheartening. Hopefully someone with knowledge of this issue will one day see this post.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

tfs1975 wrote:Update: I have gotten the part number for that relay. Original part number for that relay is 25230-79915. That relay is no longer available and has been replaced by Nissan with relay part number 25230-79917. I have ordered, received and replaced the relay and the issue still occurs. There must be a short somewhere or a possible ground issue. Not sure what the next step is or what can be done. No one seems to have come across this issue and Infiniti, as well as two mechanics have been unable to determine the cause. slightly disheartening. Hopefully someone with knowledge of this issue will one day see this post.

Sorry to hear about the bad news man, hopefully someone will fix this issue.

Tom2769

TFS, have you had any luck resolving this issue? I'm currently in the market for an M56s, but this issue has me concerned - it's happened to multiple people I see, at considerable cost. This may be enough to steer me away from the Sport package. What happens when this system fails? Does the 4WAS just become non-functional, and the car operates normally (as any other M without 4WAS), or do the driving dynamics change somehow. I wonder if the 4WAS system can just be disabled with no other adverse effects...

Tony.A

I have an issue with the 4 wheel steering in my 2012 Infiniti M37S as well. After the dealership and another mechanic (2nd opinion) looked at the car, it was determined that it needed a new rear steering rack (actuator). The car has under 50k miles on it and Infiniti Corporate won't offer any concessions since it's out of warranty by several months. The part alone is $5700. No thanks. I'll be getting another car not Infiniti.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Wow, that's terrible. Does it effect the cars performance at all? If not, I'd still keep the car.

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

I so wanted that system on my car, I'm glad it doesn't come on the M56xS.

I would have loved to felt how right that made the corners. I hope that Infiniti takes a little more time with R&D in the future. These cards are loaded with options and safety features so things do go wrong.

Good luck with this.

Tony.A

Ilya wrote:Wow, that's terrible. Does it effect the cars performance at all? If not, I'd still keep the car.
It drastically affects the performance. Basically when I'm driving, the car is between 6-7 degrees off center. It feels like the rear of the car is moving side to side when I'm going straight down the road. It doesn't feel safe.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Tony.A wrote:
Ilya wrote:Wow, that's terrible. Does it effect the cars performance at all? If not, I'd still keep the car.
It drastically affects the performance. Basically when I'm driving, the car is between 6-7 degrees off center. It feels like the rear of the car is moving side to side when I'm going straight down the road. It doesn't feel safe.
That's no bueno.

Tony.A

Ilya wrote:
Tony.A wrote:
That's no bueno.
I guess I'm more disappointed that Infiniti wouldn't work with me on this. I love the car and want to keep it, but not with nearly a $7k repair bill.

TomL5

Is there any way to permanently disable and "locking" the rear wheel steering in place? I don't know too much about the system, so I'm just asking for giggles sake.

I know on the older R32 Nissan GTRs, lots of people disabled that particular 4 wheel steering because it was so problematic.

Tony.A

TomL5 wrote:Is there any way to permanently disable and "locking" the rear wheel steering in place? I don't know too much about the system, so I'm just asking for giggles sake.

I know on the older R32 Nissan GTRs, lots of people disabled that particular 4 wheel steering because it was so problematic.
They are able to unplug the 4WAS system, however it also disables traction control (which is pretty fun).

blittle
Car: Infiniti M37

If they disable the 4WAS does that still keep cruise control, blind spot warning, interactive brake assist, etc. all from functioning just as they don't when the 4WAS light is on? I've been driving around with that light on for almost 1.5 years and luckily it has my steering wheel locked in a somewhat straight position, only off a few degrees and with the exception of that the car seems to handle exactly as it would otherwise. At times when the light would come on it had my steering wheel cocked 45 degrees but eventually the light turned off and everything would be reset. I find it hard to believe Infiniti never issued a recall for this issue, honestly I'd never buy an Infiniti again because of this.

HowardM37S

blittle wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:20 am
If they disable the 4WAS does that still keep cruise control, blind spot warning, interactive brake assist, etc. all from functioning just as they don't when the 4WAS light is on? I've been driving around with that light on for almost 1.5 years and luckily it has my steering wheel locked in a somewhat straight position, only off a few degrees and with the exception of that the car seems to handle exactly as it would otherwise. At times when the light would come on it had my steering wheel cocked 45 degrees but eventually the light turned off and everything would be reset. I find it hard to believe Infiniti never issued a recall for this issue, honestly I'd never buy an Infiniti again because of this.
Hello and sorry to see of your problem, and just wondering if you find any way to correct or turn off system? Thank you

White-Rush
Car: 06 M35S - Sold
11 M37S - Ran hard and sold
16 Q70S

Just as blittle mentioned, I too have been driving around with my 4WAS and stability control lights on for some time. :gotme I think I have logged about 20k to 21k miles on my car with these lights on. The bulk of those miles were driven on I95 at highway speeds. Since the lights have been on, I haven't had too many issues with the performance of the car. On several occasions, I noticed that the steering wheel was slightly off during my driving, but after stopping the car and turning it off overnight, it would always go back to center and drive in the correct position the next day. Even with these lights on, I have pushed the car extremely hard quite a few times, (hard pulls from a stop, excessive breaking, hard dives into curves and corners, and pushing 135+ on the highway) and the car has always responded without any hiccups. Lol, but I would always go back and say how stupid I was for doing those things when I don't really know the circumstances that are really keeping the rear end together at this point. The one thing I have noticed is that I'm starting to get "some" uneven tire wear on my rear wheels, but that could be because I haven't had the alignment done in over a year.
Anyways, tomorrow I plan to have the car looked at and see if i can get a proper diagnosis. I'm not feeling too good about spending $5k to $7k on car repairs, especially out of pocket. I'm sitting on about 126k HARD driven miles. Depending upon the outcome of this diagnosis, I may find myself parting ways with my Black Raven. I love this big black bird, but it'll be hard to shell out that much money and not know if this problem will resurface again later on down the road.

vmartin
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56s

I too was a happy Infiniti owner until recently.

My dealership quoted me $6k to replace the HICAS Actuator that will resolve the 4WAS and Stability control warning lights issue. I have read comments from two owners who have replaced the actuator and problem still persists.

Currently 74k miles

vilinda
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37 sport

Tony, I see it have been 2 years since your problem with your 2011 Infiniti M37s. What did you do to solve our problem? I'm having the same problem. Pleaseeee help!!

bligz
Car: 2003 infiniti g35
2011 infiniti m37

I too have a m37s, 2011 that has this issue. I have had it since 2016 with around 80k. I currently have 119, and still have this issue. I'm hoping someone has a final and cheaper fix for this item. Shockingly, i'm surprised there isn't much chatter regarding this issue. I wonder if we all have the same batch of 37s'. My steering wheel stays cocked slightly, and every week or so hits the 45 degree angle. I can say, I have figured out if you drive with the wheel cocked and stop leaving it cocked( most times mine will go back to the regular position) and put it in park. I then start the car, and pretty much as the tach hand is coming down i start to twist the wheel towards the the right position. I can hear when the wheel resets, it clicks and moves slightly towards the correct position. Once that happens for a short time the lights go off, and then come back on, however the wheel is in the slightly off position(not the 45 degree angle).

So, not sure if this helps, but being that i can trick the wheel back to the correct position kind of makes me think this issue is more electrical maybe vs the rear gears??? I can say this pisses me off being such a beautiful car to have a messed up driving experience.... uggh....

rjoe
Car: 2011 M56S

My 11 M56S has had a strange rear steer issue, but it's only noticeable at speed. Took it to the dealer, they 'reset' the system whatever that means to no avail. I tried replacing the relay in the trunk, that didn't help either. I don't have any dash lights at this time.

The issue Is that when you're accelerating at speed - on ramps are typically the worst. When I'm above 35-40mph & on-throttle it feels like the rear steering is wiggling back and forth. It's definitely controllable and not 'violent' but something is activating when it shouldn't be.

M37SJoe
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37 S

I have posted my experience with the 4WAS System in another thread." 4WAS Statistics. I will share my findings when my parts arrive.

skdeezee214
Car: 2011 M56 S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ9S2vVAV6s

watch this video it's probably what's wrong, very cheap fix you can do yourself.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”